___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 218___

Info info at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Feb 25 06:36:57 CET 2005

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____2_25_2005_Fri_vol.218_____ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Tokyo Initiator's Diary
Maeda Keizo (producer, Conversation), Vol. 012

(2) Event Pick of the Week
Scissor Sisters
by Andreas

(3) Presents
Japan Media Arts Festival T-shirts
Tete tickets

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 40 events
including 11 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Tokyo Initiators' Diary

Maeda Keizo (producer, Conversation), Vol. 012

I'm in New York once again. Even though prepared to find
security measures being drastically reinforced since 9.11, the
endless lines at the customs and the fingerprints and facial
portraits they're taking of travelers don't exactly make entering
the USA a nice adventure. Once in the city I find policemen with
huge dogs all over the place, and although I understand that this
is the price people have to pay for an almost impersonally clean
subway and safety in everyday life, I have the feeling that it's
a bit too much. Due to the watching eyes I'm constantly feeling
in my neck I'm getting slightly depressed. But somehow the people
I meet and the usual cafes I visit again this time help me clear
up.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/shikakenin/maeda-012.htm

(2) Event Pick of the Week

Scissor Sisters
by Andreas

To gain cult status with cheaply produced and poorly performed
flicks is a story we know well from the film world. Every now
and then musicians pop up and present the same kind of magic in
records and live shows of equally unrefined taste, and in most
cases that's among the best that could happen to music. Bobby
Conn would be one of them, but also NY-based Scissor Sisters
are a good example. Although their several recent awards and
the Grammy nomination for their disco-take on Pink Floyd's
"Comfortable Numb" (released on ATOC) might scare the
sophisticated listener off rather than advertising their class,
the American hype hints at the sense of kitsch we love about
Rocky Horror, Village People or early Elton John. That's what
the cover of SS's album looks, and their music sounds like, and
the wild disco musical they bring to Japanese stages is not to
be missed. Make sure you're out of reach of show girl Ana's
massive breasts and enjoy!
--Andreas

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?2,2272

(3) Presents

Three RT readers will receive one limited edition official
Japan Media Arts Festival T-shirt each, and two pairs/4 people
win tickets for Tete's concert on 3/18.

To apply and for more info see:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/present/present.htm

Next week on RT:

- Out of Tokyo
- Tokyo Editors' Diary

and more...

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and
Convenient for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us
opinions or productive suggestions concerning contents,
structure, layouts, etc. Three especially lucky readers who
send a mail to info at realtokyo.co.jp will be chosen and receive
a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners
on our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get
lots of hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy
information on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events
in town. Please contact the following email address for
dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to
change your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their
services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received
by email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2005 REALTOKYO