No subject

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Feb 6 00:15:38 CET 2005

Broken History

IRC log started Sat Feb  5 17:52
*** Value of LOG set to ON
*** No target, neither channel nor query
*** Current server: <None>
*** Primary server: <None>
*** Server list:
*** 	0) irc.mcs.net 6667
*** Unknown command: DAMN
*** Unknown command: GONE-ALL-GONE
IRC log ended Sat Feb  5 17:54

k19% archie
Usage: archie [-acelorstvLV] [-m hits] [-N level] string
           -a : list matches as Alex filenames
           -c : case sensitive substring search
           -e : exact string match (default)
           -r : regular expression search
           -s : case insensitive substring search
           -l : list one match per line
           -t : sort inverted by date
      -m hits : specifies maximum number of hits to return (default 95)
  -o filename : specifies file to store results in
      -h host : specifies server host
           -L : list known servers and current default
     -N level : specifies query niceness level (0-35765)
                                       /net/local/lib/gopher directory (p1
of 2)

Current directory is /net/local/lib/gopher
     drwxr-xr-x   11 root     daemon      4096 Oct 29 18:16 ../
     -rw-rw-r--    1 00000163 users       2402 Oct 14  1994 About Panix's
Gopher Server
     -rw-rw-r--    1 root     staff       2633 Nov 23  1993 About Panix's
Gopher Server~
     drwxr-xr-x    5 ekh      users       4096 Jan  6  1998 DRB/
     drwxr-xr-x    4 00000163 users       4096 Jul 12  1994 MIT-Guide/
     drwxrwxr-x   15 00000030 gopher      4096 Jul 10  1995 Misc/
     drwxrwxr-x    4 00000030 gopher      4096 Nov 30  1993 NYC/
     drwxrwxr-x    2 00000030 gopher      4096 May 20  1994 Other/
     drwxrwxr-x    2 00000030 gopher      4096 Jul 30  1994 Panix/
     drwxr-xr-x    2 pnh      gopher      4096 Oct 13  1995 TBON/
     drwxr-xr-x    3 dfl      gopher      4096 Apr 29  1996 ebikes/
     -rw-r--r--    1 00000163 users      33783 Aug 13  1994 eliz-cal
     -r--r--r--    1 00000163 staff      17263 Nov 19  1993 eliz-cal~
     drwxr-xr-x    3 00000163 lunacon     4096 Feb  3  1996 lunacon/
     drwxr-xr-x   19 kgreenb  gopher      4096 Jun 21  1995 nyart/
     drwxr-xr-x    2 00000163 staff       4096 Sep  6  1994 nybc/
     drwxr-xr-x    2 00000030 gopher      4096 Jan 17  1995 tmp/

Last Letter from Gol.Com
I'm out of gol.com, my Japanese account. I closed it down a week early.
Although they have touted themselves as far ahead of panix in my corres-
pondence with them, they have repeatedly damaged their own shell accounts.
They switched machines without telling anyone at times - rendering void
email lists which rely on correct addressing. They got rid of emacs quite
a while ago, allow no traceroute, ping, netstat, or any sort of perl and
other programming - as far as I could tell, only simple shell programs
would run. They change things without advance notice - including time-
consuming machine repairs that they knew of in advance. I'd dial in and
find the account inaccessible. At one point, they removed Pine - I had to
switch to elm; they removed elm - I had to switch to mail. All this with-
out notice. Of course they removed /usr/games etc. Finally, they kept
reconfiguring Pine, the mailer - at this point, I couldn't even change my
name. They set more and more of the so-called user options. And again, all
of this without advance warning. [And Pine is now misconfigured, with an
error message concerning file permissions appearing every time someone
logs in.]

Friday, 13 October 1995
UNDER DESTRUCTION
The resources formerly found here can now be accessed on our Web site:
      http://www.tor.com
Additional resources on the Web page include submission guidelines, the
beginnings of the Tor FAQ, and links to other SF and fantasy-related
material on the Internet.

    We're sorry, but the requested page /home/mcbryan/WWWW.html can't be
    found on the Computer Science Department website. Perhaps there are
    spelling errors or typos in the address or the page has been removed
    or moved to a new location.

   As of Monday, January 24, 2005, panix.net is not supported.

WAIS
      * Directory of servers at CNIDR (direct access for Mosaic 2.0).
      * Directory of servers at wais.com (direct access for Mosaic 2.0).

                          Internet Resources Meta-Index
    This document is intended to be a loosely categorized meta-index of
    the various resource directories and indices available on the
    Internet. Please send suggestions for new entries on this list (any
    index or directory of resources) to mosaic at ncsa.uiuc.edu.

                           Internet Resources Metamap

    This is an experimental graphical metamap of some Internet information
    resource indices and listings.

    To use this metamap properly, you need a World Wide Web browser with
    the following capabilities:

      * Inlined image display with image mapping support.
      * Full HTTP/1.0 response code handling (without this, jumping from
        the metamap to the remote resource will not be transparent --
        there will be an intermediate hyperlink).
    Mosaic for X 2.0 is known to work nicely. Mosaic for Mac 1.0 does not
    seem to work properly; version 1.01 should (but I haven't actually
    tested it yet).
    Simply click on the information resource you wish to see:
    [ISMAP:metamap.gif]

The requested URL /Mosaic/metamap.map was not found on this server.

+++