\\

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Fri Dec 9 16:06:51 CET 2005

m9ndfukc.macht.fre!

There was a woman who had a stroke who did not know that she could not move
her left arm.  She insisted that she could.  When cold water was poured into
her ear she said you know my left arm is paralyzed and agreed to do physical
therapy.  As soon as the ear warmed up she insisted that her left arm was
fine and that she never said she had a problem.  The burden of proof is not
on the presenter other than a reasonable effort.

> You know, I once had an instructor stand in front  of the class and
> challenge that there was no way that anyone could  prove to him that God
> existed.
>  I can still remember thinking about his statement for a moment and then
> realizing not only was he absolutely correct but even better, I  realized
> that I did not have to prove anything.  Furthermore, I  immediately came
> to the conclusion that I did not have to give a shit  what he or any other
> person was willing to learn, entertain or  contemplate. Some one told me
> to give others the right to be wrong. I  know a couple of grown and
> educated men that claim you can not prove to  them that man has been to
> the moon. They are right too. I have a  schizophrenic friend keeps telling
> me about this boyfriend she has, I  cannot convince her that he does not
> exist. She ain't just right.

Referring to a person as a "schizophrenic friend", takes away the identity
of that person as an individual. First and foremost they are a friend and a
person, then, they may be affected by schizophrenia. They are not a
"schizophrenic", just as someone who has any illness (cancer) is not the
illness (a cancer). Labeling people as aforementioned instigates stigma,
as the illness is perceived as an identity. Furthermore, the tone is
derogatory towards those suffering from schizophrenia and related
disorders . Perceive you friend as a person with a mental illness, not as a
"schizophrenic who "ain't just right". Afford people the right to be
perceived as people, not as a label.