mortaliy study

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Fri Oct 29 20:04:50 CEST 2004

http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol364/iss9445/full/llan.364.9445.early_online_publication.31137.1

Mortality before and after the 2003 invasion of Iraq: cluster sample survey

Les Roberts, Riyadh Lafta, Richard Garfield, Jamal Khudhairi, Gilbert Burnham

Summary

Background In March, 2003, military forces,
mainly from the USA and the UK, invaded Iraq. We
did a survey to compare mortality during the
period of 14·6 months before the invasion with
the 17·8 months after it.

Methods A cluster sample survey was undertaken
throughout Iraq during September, 2004. 33
clusters of 30 households each were interviewed
about household composition, births, and deaths
since January, 2002. In those households
reporting deaths, the date, cause, and
circumstances of violent deaths were recorded. We
assessed the relative risk of death associated
with the 2003 invasion and occupation by
comparing mortality in the 17·8 months after the
invasion with the 14·6-month period preceding it.

Findings The risk of death was estimated to be
2·5-fold (95% CI 1·6-4·2) higher after the
invasion when compared with the preinvasion
period. Two-thirds of all violent deaths were
reported in one cluster in the city of Falluja.
If we exclude the Falluja data, the risk of death
is 1·5-fold (1·1-2·3) higher after the invasion.
We estimate that 98000 more deaths than expected
(8000-194000) happened after the invasion outside
of Falluja and far more if the outlier Falluja
cluster is included. The major causes of death
before the invasion were myocardial infarction,
cerebrovascular accidents, and other chronic
disorders whereas after the invasion violence was
the primary cause of death. Violent deaths were
widespread, reported in 15 of 33 clusters, and
were mainly attributed to coalition forces. Most
individuals reportedly killed by coalition forces
were women and children. The risk of death from
violence in the period after the invasion was 58
times higher (95% CI 8·1-419) than in the period
before the war.

Interpretation Making conservative assumptions,
we think that about 100000 excess deaths, or more
have happened since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Violence accounted for most of the excess deaths
and air strikes from coalition forces accounted
for most violent deaths. We have shown that
collection of public-health information is
possible even during periods of extreme violence.
Our results need further verification and should
lead to changes to reduce non-combatant deaths
from air strikes.

See Comment