Artists Talk: 1969-1977

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Oct 6 00:48:03 CEST 2004

Artists Talk: 1969-1977
Edited by Peggy Gale

An insightful essay by Peggy Gale introduces these transcriptions of
historic talks by internationally known artists, recorded some 30 years ago
at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. Included are talks by Vito
Acconci (1977), Carl Andre (1969), Joseph Beuys (1976), Daniel Buren (1973),
James Lee Byars (1970), Paterson Ewen (1976), Robert Filliou (1973), Dan
Graham (1973 and 1977), Douglas Huebler (1973), Joseph Kosuth (1969), Sol
LeWitt (1970), Mel Ramsden for Art & Language (1972), Alan Sondheim (1973),
and Lawrence Weiner 1972). These transcriptions are all available for the
first time. An important resource for contemporary art and its attendant
issues, Artists Talk reveals artistsą concerns during a period bracketed by
conceptual art and an international restructuring of power and influence in
the art world.

Product details:
385 pages, 12 bw illustrations, 6 x 9"

ISBN: 0-919616-40-2 (paper)
Price: $49.95 CND / $39.95 USD
Publication Date: September 2004

Ordering information at: http://www.nscad.ns.ca/press/press_ordering.php

More information on The Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design
(NSCAD University) at: http://www.nscad.ns.ca/thepress

------------------------------------
Christopher McFarlane, Manager

The Press of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD University)
5163 Duke Street
Halifax  NS    B3J 3J6
Canada

T: 902 494-8221
F: 902 494-8311
E: thepress at nscad.ns.ca

http://www.nscad.ns.ca/thepress

- I want to add here that the book has meant an enormous amount to me -
not only for the artists' words, but also for the content, which is still
literally open to question and idea - two of the concepts, along with
world and art, that are discussed here. My own piece in such company has
made me rethink, not only my own work, but art's relation to the net, in
terms of issues of ontology and epistemology.

- The book also represents an absolutely incredible program run by the
relatively geographically-isolated Nova Scotia College of Art and Design -
a program in which the students were treated as adults, as functioning
artists - and they rose to the occasion.

- Alan