Croatian TV says sorry to viewers

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sun Nov 7 17:17:29 CET 2004

Sadly, Croatian media continue to be incapable to employ quality
correspondents abroad. This story is even sadder, given that
Silvija's boss is a person that used to anchor the shows that I wrote
for Radio 101 in mid-eighties in Zagreb. So, I expected Hloverka
would be able to make better choices.
ivo

Croatian TV says sorry to viewers

Associated Press in Zagreb
Friday November 5, 2004
The Guardian

Croatian state-run television apologised to viewers yesterday after
its reporter covering the US elections announced victory for John
Kerry, called him "Senator Kennedy", and blasted her colleagues in
live broadcast.

Silvija Luks, a veteran journalist, "damaged the reputation of our
news programme," the station said, accusing her of "citing anonymous
sources and failing to report relevant information".

"We regret it ... and we apologise." Luks rejected the accusations as
a "farce".

During the show, Luks criticised her colleagues and said Mr Kerry had
won the key states of Ohio and Florida.

Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street
Rutland VT 05701