REALTOKYO MM Vol. 181

Info info at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri May 28 05:28:36 CEST 2004

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____5_28_2004_Fri_vol.181_____ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Out of Tokyo Vol. 088
Transfigurations of Bookshops
by Ozaki Tetsuya

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary
Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) Vol. 018

(3) Event Pick of the Week
audio forma presents Berlin Electronic Modern
by Andreas

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 36 events
including 7 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Out Of Tokyo

Vol. 088: Transfigurations of Bookshops
by Ozaki Tetsuya

As you'll know if you happen to live in the Kansai area, there
are a number of shops in Kyoto that cater in a careful way to
a book-loving clientele. Among them are Sangatsu Shobo in
Teramachi-Nijo, Media Shop in Kawaramchi-Sanjo, Ichijoji's
Keibunsha, and many more. Tokyo, of course, has such shops as
NADiff, Aoyama Book Center or Libro Book Center to offer, but
while the shops in Kyoto are of a somewhat smaller scale, the
atmosphere there is more intimate and relaxing. And that in such
a city... (oh, sorry for that!) I'm not so familiar with the
situation in Osaka, but according to a member of our editorial
team who went there recently, also in Osaka pleasant book and
accessory shops that sell Japanese and foreign, new and used
books such as Calo Bookshop and Cafe, Berlin Books, Colombo
Design Store and others have increased there.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki88.htm

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary

Baba Masataka ("A") Vol. 018

The man who disperses water

I'm still visiting Beijing frequently.
That's because we're establishing office and trade facilities
in a suburban town called Xing Long, a 30-minute car ride from
Tiananmen in the centre of Beijing. While I'm advocating all
things "R" in Tokyo, here I'm in the middle of a scrap-and-build
project and watch building after building being erected where
once was nothign but vast plains. Last month I spent a week in
Beijing to witness the construction on the home straight, doing
my work in a corner of our local partner's office. It's a nicely
spacious, sun-drenched place with huge windows, and our frustrated
staff members who accompanied me suggested, "let's not go back to
our dark Nihonbashi warehouse..."

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/diary/0049-henshucho.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

audio forma presents Berlin Electronic Modern

There is, of course, spirited activity also in countries like
France for instance, and Japan has a number of good labels to
offer too. But as two outstanding poles in the world of
electronica, the Berlin scene and Tokyo's border-crossing (in
any sense of the term) Progressive Form label have been playing
important roles. In the next volume of their "audio forma" series,
PF is going to introduce both artists from Berlin and their own
stable, which is enough to classify this as an absolutely
essential event. Static (photo) and Rechenzentrum, who both
delivered in the last couple of years some of the best the genre
has to offer with "Eject Your Mind" and "Director's Cut"
respectively, are undoubtedly this time's highlights, together
with Morr artists Herrmann & Kleine. But also the sets of
Japanese representatives such as Sketch Show and Kurokawa Ryoichi
are not to be missed.
--Andreas

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?2,1924

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo Initiators' Diary
- Presents

and more...

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and
Convenient for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us
opinions or productive suggestions concerning contents,
structure, layouts, etc. Three especially lucky readers who
send a mail to info at realtokyo.co.jp will be chosen and receive
a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners
on our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get
lots of hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy
information on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events
in town. Please contact the following email address for
dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to
change your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their
services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received
by email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2004 REALTOKYO