Should USA "Redefine the Enemy?"

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat May 22 18:11:02 CEST 2004

Jenkins desperately tries to think "out of the box" - but that is
simply impossible for him who spent more than 30 years inside the
box.

That's why his analysis reads like a comedy. He reminds me of various
senior advisors to top ranking communist party members of old
Yugoslavia, who wrote countless analytic papers like this one in the
decade after Tito's death.

They all contained a fundamental flaw: they all thought about
redefining communist Yugoslavia, instead of abandoning it and
accepting the real change.

In analogy, Jenkins's flaw is that he is still thinking of IT as a
war that needs to be won. OK, suicide bombers are indeed a different
kind of enemy than Soviets. And, indeed, they may have their own
valid reasons for acting the way they were.

But we can still WIN. We just need to redefine our way of fighting.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.... Never learn they will, as Yoda would say. What
Jenkins refuses to accept is that this war cannot be won, and
therefore that it is not worth fighting.

Instead the reasons for it need to be removed - economically,
politically, culturally, in ways not yet imagined by anybody, least
the good old marine who made the career of selling advice on how to
win wars.

ivo