Maybe the future is in outsourcing?

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Fri May 14 17:41:58 CEST 2004

New commander of Abu Ghraib comes there from a Guantanamo Bay, which
while being criticized by international human rights organizations
for inhumane treatment of prisoners, at least, did not produce
thousands of incriminating pictures and videos about it. I am sure he
will make sure Abu Ghraib receives the same smooth guidance. First
two things he did is to stop millitary intelligence unit from giving
orders to military police unit, reinstating the normal army command
procedure, and to move Iraqi detainees under American guard from the
old - cursed - Abu Ghraib prison structure, and into the new
provisory building the US is putting up there, out of superstition
that the walls of Abu Ghraib, saturated with screams of decades of
Saddam Hussein's victims who were tortured there, would somehow
continue to corrupt hearts and minds of young Americans serving there
into becoming the bestial torturers and take pictures of
themselves... Event Horizon? Or maybe THIS is the secret Saddam's
weapon of mass destruction? A virus hidden in the Abu Ghraib that
makes people loose all empathy for the other human beings?

Meanwhile the foot-soldiers charged for wrongdoing are brought back
to the show trial in the US. Americans can, indeed, do great court
trials. So, we are in for some good TV. Already, Sivits, the one who
was the quickest to make a deal with the government, is telling the
government story: there were no orders, we did it because we were
stupid, or whatever; I am guilty, and the others are (much) guiltier;
now, please, let me go and put them in prison. He was just standing
around and laughing. Frederick and OTHERS did the kicking, stomping,
ordering detainees to strip and masturbate, and so on. Others have
such improbable names like England and Wisdom (the later being
obviously quite inappropriate for the bearer). He particularly
dislikes one named Graner, whom he blamed for the heaviest of the
abuses. Now, the viewers are anxious to hear what Graner has to say
about that. This brings guaranteed high TV ratings to the station
that will broadcast the trial. Good ad revenue. Because everything
can and is turned into profit.

For the future, however, to avoid the emabarassment of watching your
own boys and girls misbehaving in such a way, maybe Pentagon should
outsource its prisons supervision to people with far more experience
in humiliating Muslims...
http://www.ipsnews.net/interna.asp?idnews=23706

ivo