Book: a critical look at information technology by Roberto Verzola (fw)

Fátima Lasay digiteer at ispbonanza.com.ph
Thu May 13 10:40:50 CEST 2004

Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 06:41:12 -0700
From: rverzola at gn.apc.org
Subject: book: a critical look at information technology

I just want to let my friends on this list who missed my March 10
book launching that my book Towards a Political Economy of
Information is now available at the Popular Book Store (Timog
corner T.Morato Ave., QC). It is also available from the publisher
Foundation for Nationalist Studies (lrc_fns at yahoo.com).

For the curious, I've enclosed below the book's Table of Contents.

Obet Verzola

Table of Contents:

Part I. Information and Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)

1. The miracle of the loaves
2. A new offensive against the Third World
3. U.S. piracy in the 19th century
4. The 'piracy' of intellectuals
5. GATT: Free Trade or Monopoly Growth?
6. IPR: a clash of value-systems
7. Towards a political economy of information

Part II. ICTs and the Internet

8. Expanding market for information economies
9. A hierarchy of access
10. ICT: job creator or destroyer?
11. A poor learning environment
12. An interactive idiot box
13. Private space controlled by rentiers
14. Perverse subsidies
15. Internet cafes: connectivity for the masses?

Part III. Genetic Information And Genetic Engineering

16. Turning farmers into 'pirates'
17. Pirating genetic resources
18. Beware of modern vampires
19. Biosafety and genetic contamination

Part IV. Monopolistic Information Economies

20. Information monopolies and the WTO
21. Globalization: the third wave
22. Cyberlords: rentier class of the information sector
23. Testing the political strength of a cyberlord
24. Globalization: poor design?
25. What could be more important than efficiency?

Part V. Alternatives: A Non-Monopolistic Information Sector

26. A well-kept IT secret
27. IT or AT?
28. Community rights over biological material: property or moral
rights?
29. Low-cost strategies for ICT deployment in developing countries
30.Greening the information sector
31. Alternatives to globalization

Fátima Lasay http://digitalmedia.upd.edu.ph/digiteer/
Fingerprint 379A 3BD3 29D6 D3BD B135  2C4F BF89 F99A 6BF3 3BD3