Ask the Robot Performance Event & Call For Participation

Ahmi Wolf ahmi at pursuethepulse.org
Tue May 18 22:29:43 CEST 2004

ask the robot, a multi-media platform for sharing and responding to new
art, is back with:

rOBOT rEBELLION!

An evening of performance, music, video and installation

Wednesday, June 23 @ the Frying Pan
Pier 63 North River
New York, NY  10011
tel: (212) 989-6363 www.fryingpan.com

rOBOT rEBELLION! is the second in a series of events that gives artists
working within and across different media a chance to present their
work on an open stage.  Whether you use your body, your voice, or
strange technical gadgets to perform – analog, digital and just plain
human media are all welcome! Admission is FREE!

The performances will be followed by a JAM SESSION: Djembe drums meet
musical surfboard in the cellar of a haunted old boat... Bring your
instruments, laptops, and dancing shoes

Please forward on to others that might be interested!

							CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

							Robot as Other, Soulless, Alien
	Robot as Man's dream of a servant who will comply without question at
the snap of the fingers

...AND THEN THE PROGRAM CRASHES: it's as if the machines we rely on
wait for the perfect moment to take their revenge on us thankless souls
who expect and demand performance at the click of a button. Then we go
to work and find the tables turned on us: it's we who are expected to
respond at the boss's mechanical wag of the tongue. It used to be that
programmed machines and humans were presented as diametrically opposed
specimens, warring tribes competing for supremacy - one day the robots
will take over the world! In this battle for world domination, WHO ARE
THE ROBOTS? WHO ARE THE HUMANS?

ask the robot is looking for performances, installations, and written
pieces that are full of soul. If you'd like to show your work, read the
guidelines and contact us at robot at asktherobot.info

We are looking for:

LIVE ACTS: music*dance*spoken word*comedy*and drama of any kind; 15
min. max

VIDEO: 10 seconds to 10 minutes

INSTALLATIONS

WRITTEN WORK: articles and written responses of any length

Submission guidelines:
*Live Acts: email a link to a sample of your work if it is available
online, or send a short video/audio sample to:
Pursue the Pulse, 369 St. John’s Pl. Apt. 15, Brooklyn, NY 11238
*Video: send us a link to a Quicktime version of the movie, or mail a
VHS/CDR/DVD to the above address (CDR/DVD preferable)
*Installations: send us a clear description of what you intend to do,
how much space and set up time is required, and photos of the work, if
available. Site specific installations are especially welcome!
*Written Responses: email as a pdf or word attachment

In all cases you can also arrange to meet with us in person, if you are
local.

DEADLINE: JUNE 17

Brought to you by Pursue the Pulse (http://www.pursuethepulse.org)

(To join our mailing list, reply to this email with something like
'join' 'subscribe' 'list me', etc., in the body of the email. To get us
off your back, reply with whatever witty words you think will make us
want to avoid you in the future.)