Andy Deck Retrospective at Furtherfield.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Mar 26 14:14:35 CET 2004

_Andy Deck __Retrospective __at Furtherfield._
Creating art software since 1990 and then moving onto the Internet in
1994 Andy Deck has worked with the Web using two main sites,
artcontext.net and  andyland.net  as platforms to display his digital
based  explorations. In the net art activist world there have been many
inspiring talents who have shone through the  flickering, radiated haze
of our computer monitors. Andy Deck is one of those individuals who,
has  somehow succeeded in maintaining a consistent integrity in his work.

_Why a retrospective?_

This is Furtherfield's first ever 'artist's retrospective'. We've been
puzzling over what this might actually mean in the context of a platform
such as this, and why we would do such an 'art world' thing? Well, in
the case of the work of Andy Deck, someone's got to do it and why not
us? It's got to be done and it should have been done already, so now we
are doing it.

Perhaps it is also because with Deck's work there is coherence, a
crystal clear dedication, a purpose to his oeuvre that offers an unique
perspective on the artistic/critical history of the Internet. In
committing ourselves to a retrospective we create an alternative
context, a choice. History is subjective, fickle and can be divisive,
which can all too often make being seen a political situation whether
one wishes it to be or not.

So, this 'soft group' Furtherfield, who advocates that anyone can claim
and reclaim their own identities whether it is as individuals or as a
group on their own terms, invites you to enjoy and gives a warm thanks
to Andy Deck for allowing such an occasion to occur.

http://www.furtherfield.org