[Crónica] mail 016

Cronica list at cronicaelectronica.org
Thu Mar 25 14:27:14 CET 2004

| CRÓNICA MAIL 016                                  |
| 25.03.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - product 2
02 - notes from ran slavin
03 - ran slavin
04 - upcoming releases
05 - + events

(versão portuguesa abaixo)

| RAN SLAVIN                                        |
| RAN SLAVIN                                        |
| PRODUCT                                           |

Ran Slavin's Tropical Agent / Ears in Water is the second installment in Crónica's Product series.

The Product series aims at confrontation and fusion through releasing two works in a single CD, added by a special guest to produce the artwork.
Regarded as experimental publishing, or otherwise, simply as the return to the split strategy of the vinyl in a digital medium, the Product releases work as mini-compilations that stand from the synergy between both works, turning the release not in a mere sum of parts but rather in an emergent product of them.

Ran's beautiful pieces carefully balance micro and macro composition, recognizable timbres and alien sounds, all laid out in landscapes of immeasurable beauty, scenarios with a mediterranean feel that is at once so familiar and distant to us. Like on a clear and sunny day, the horizon is unshadowed and the eye reaches far away, exploring a music that "in its conscious refusal of the visual, carries with it visions that are more beautiful than images could ever be."

The cover art for Product 02 was created by Jewboy Co. (Yaron Shin), designer, typographer, animator, photographer, illustrator, artist and human being also living in Tel-Aviv, Israel.

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/index.php?a=009

| NOTES FROM RAN SLAVIN                             |

This cd was made under quiet listening circumstances, often accepting random factors into the process. It seems to me that some of these tracks are open to accepting additional environmental sound and noise occurrence /textures into their composition/environment. More than once I included extra sounds to the tracks after being randomly exposed to their juxtaposition with sounds from the environment while in preview listening. It seemed at times that the tracks can be part of something outside of themselves, part of something wider, blending in a surrounding, open to metamorphosis, to influence and be influenced accordingly on an atmosphere, open to an organic synthesis in an urban environment.
Ran Slavin 1.1.2004

| RAN SLAVIN                                        |

Ran Slavin aka ToneR is an audio and video composer/improviser and post production editor/director.
His works experiment in hybrid areas of digital dislocation, noise textures and cross layering of moving image with sound.

Exhibiting and performing widely: Recent A/V concerts/screenings include the opening show for Transmediale 03 at the Haus der Kulturen Der Welt & at Club Transmediale Berlin, Germany [with S.Meissner and E.Sachs], Podewil, Video screenings at the "PixelAche" festival Helsinki, Finland, at the Recontres Internationales Paris/Berlin, VideoZone Biennale - Tel Aviv, John Zorns "Cobra" - Jerusalem, Polin, Brussles, Athens [E-phos], Moov Festival, New York, Beijing-China.

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/index.php?a=ranslavin

| UPCOMING RELEASES                                 |

Good things coming soon!

@c's "v3" (crónica 010~2004) is their third full length release (and second in crónica), with a rooster of guest musicians: Vitor Joaquim, Manuel Mota, Pedro Almeida, Andy Gangadeen and João Hora, and an exclusive wonderful new video from Lia: v3/GSIL XXIX.

>From Lisbon and Santiago de Chile arrive Ok.Suitcase and Cáncer, that will split the 3rd issue of the Product series (crónica 011~2004).

>From Brooklyn, New York, sound artist, composer, [electroluxe] event schemer and core member of share.dj, arrives o.blaat (Keiko Uenishi) will release Two Novels: Gaze / In the Cochlea (crónica 012~2004).

As springtime rules and days grow wider and sunnier, our hometown iconoclast wonder-boy Miguel Flor is designing an exclusive T-shirt collection for Crónica that you are going to want bad! Great colors, smart stitching, no holes and yeah, with the dogylaptop HMV rip off (crónica 013~2004).

| + EVENTS                                          |

As always, for more information on Crónica's releases and events, just point to http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| CRÓNICA MAIL 016                                  |
| 25.03.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - product 2
02 - notas de ran slavin
03 - ran slavin
04 - próximos lançamentos
05 - + eventos

(english version above)

| RAN SLAVIN                                        |
| RAN SLAVIN                                        |
| PRODUCT                                           |

No seguimento de Product 01 / Crónica 007~2003, a Crónica tem o prazer de apresentar o segundo lançamento da série Product, com dois trabalhos de Ran Slavin: Tropical Agent & Ears in Water. A série Product ambiciona simultaneamente a confrontação e a fusão, através da edição simultânea de dois trabalhos num único CD. Para além de se configurar como uma estratégia editorial de carácter experimental, a série Product tem as suas raízes na estética 'split', característica das edições em vinil e agora ensaiada num meio digital. As edições Product serão split CDs, contendo dois trabalhos áudio e/ou audiovisuais, incluindo ainda um convidado que produzirá imagens para a capa do CD. Quase encaradas como mini-compilações, pensamos que valerão pela sinergia resultante da inter-relação das respectivas peças e mais que uma mera soma de partes, emergirá o produto das mesmas.

A capa de Product 02 foi concebida por Jewboy Co. (Yaron Shin), "designer, designer tipográfico, fotógrafo, ilustrador, artista e ser humano".
Vive em Tel Aviv, Israel.

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/index.php?a=009

| NOTAS DE RAN SLAVIN                               |

Este cd foi composto em condições de audição bastante tranquilas, aceitando frequentemente factores aleatórios no processo de trabalho. Parece-me que algumas das faixas estão abertas a aceitar sons e ruídos ambientais adicionais na sua composição/ambiente. Mais do que uma vez incluí sons extra depois de ter sido exposto casualmente à sua justaposição com sons que me rodeavam quando do trabalho de mistura. Por vezes quase parece que as faixas podem ser parte de algo externo a si mesmas, parte de algo maior, fundindo-se nas cercanias, abertas à metamorfose, a serem influenciadas e a influenciarem de acordo com uma atmosfera, abertas a uma síntese orgânica com um contexto urbano.
Ran Slavin 1.1.2004

| RAN SLAVIN                                        |

Ran Slavin é um artista audiovisual, que trabalha também nas áreas de pós-produção e realização videográfica. O seu trabalho audiovisual experimenta em áreas híbridas da deslocação e desconstrução digital, texturas sonoras e o cruzamento de imagens em movimento e som. Os seus últimos trabalhos exploram fontes acústicas em meios digitais. Com um longo curriculum de exposições e performances, Ran Slavin edita desde 1990 e estreou-se na Crónica na compilação On Paper (Crónica 005~2003) com dois temas em parceria com Sebastian Meissner e assinados como b.Z_ToneR. Vive e trabalha em Tel Aviv, Israel.

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/index.php?a=ranslavin

| PRÓXIMOS LANÇAMENTOS                              |

"v3" dos @c (crónica 010~2004), é o seu terceiro longa duração (segundo na crónica) e com uma panóplia de músicos convidados: Vitor Joaquim, Manuel Mota, Pedro Almeida, Andy Gangadeen e João Hora. Este cd inclui um excelente (e exclusivo) novo vídeo de Lia: v3/GSIL XXIX.

De Lisboa e Santiago do Chile chegam Ok.Suitcase e Cáncer, que partilharão o terceiro número da série Product (crónica 011~2004).

De Brooklyn, Nova Iorque, chega a artista sonora, compositora, organizadora de eventos e membro da share.dj, o.blaat (Keiko Uenishi), que editará Two Novels: Gaze / In the Cochlea (crónica 012~2004).

A Primavera espreita, os dias são mais longos e não tarda muito o calor do sol a escurecer-nos a pele. Não há Verão sem uma boa T-shirt e poucas como as do Miguel Flor. Pois, o nosso iconoclasta pluridisciplinar preferido está a desenhar uma micro-colecção para a crónica, belíssimas cores e detalhes construtivos irrepreensíveis (crónica 013~2004).

| + INFORMAÇÃO                                      |

Como sempre, para obter informação actualizada acerca das edições e eventos promovidos pela Crónica, basta apontar para http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| DISCLAIMER @                                      |
| always in the end!                                |

this mail is NOT SPAM. it was either sent to you because you subscribed to receive it or, due to unexplainable phenomena your address ended up being added to this list. if it stays here, mail will be sent to you every now and then, updating news and interesting information about Crónica and www.cronicaelectronica.org

| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |