US Greens and Gay Marriages

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat Mar 6 16:53:53 CET 2004

The New York State Mayor that proceeded with marrying gay couples
despite the anger of the State judiciary is a member of Green Party.
Here is the evident benefit of the third party candidates: they may
behave more bold - differently from the members from the two big
parties. Should we call him a "reformist"? The way how US media call
pro-democracy political leaders in Iran? Both him and them are facing
the wrath of unflenching conservative judges - the guardians of
status-quo.
ivo

JOIN GREEN PARTY MAYOR JASON WEST AT THE INCLUSIVE ST. PATRICK'S
PARADE IN QUEENS THIS SUNDAY!!!

That's right! New Paltz Mayor and Green Party member Jason West will
be in attendance at the inclusive St. Patrick's Parade in Sunnyside,
Queens this Sunday, March 7.

Jason West has been in the news recently since his brave action in
marrying 25 same-sex couples since Feb. 27. The Ulster County
District
Attorney has brought charges against him, but Jason has vowed to
continue marrying couples. "Our [state] constitution requires equal
protection for all New Yorkers," says Mayor West. "The laws of New
York State are gender-neutral...I have broken no laws, and I intend
proceed with ceremonies on Saturday [March 6]  unless I am advised
otherwise by my attorneys."

Let's show our support both for Jason and for the all-inclusive
parade. This parade was organized five years ago by Brendan Fay,
whose
group was banned from marching in the traditional parade up Fifth
Avenue.

We'll be gathering at the corner of 43rd Street and Skillman Avenue
in
Sunnyside, Queens, at 12:30 on Sunday, March 7. The 7 train will not
be running that day, so getting there will be difficult. Folks can
take the G or R trains to 36th Street in Queens. Then you can take a
shuttle bus to 40th Street and Queens Boulevard. Or you can walk
along
Northern Boulevard to 42nd Place, then turn right until you get to
Skillman Avenue.

You can also take the Q32 or Q60 bus to 42nd Street and Queens
Boulevard. Manhattan folks can catch those buses on 2nd Avenue, on
60th and 59th Streets, respectively.

If anyone has questions or needs more specific directions, you can
call the Green Party Office in Manhattan at 212-240-0501. We'll also
be making signs on Saturday afternoon if you'd like to help with
that.

Please join us! A fun time will be had by all!!!