[Crónica] mail 020

Cronica list at cronicaelectronica.org
Wed Jun 16 20:12:50 CEST 2004

| CRÓNICA MAIL 020                                  |
| 16.06.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - new release: still important somekind not normally seen (always not unfinished)
02 - Heimir Björgúlfsson
03 - Pimmon
04 - Helgi Thorsson
05 - Upcoming Performances
06 - Upcoming Releases

(versão portuguesa abaixo)

| new release                                       |
| Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon and Helgi Thorsson    |
| still important somekind not normally seen        |
| (always not unfinished)                           |
| Crónica 014~2004                                  |
| cover art by Helgi Thorsson                       |
| 9 tracks                                          |

Still Important Somekind Not Normally Seen (Always Not Unfinished) is Crónica's fourteenth release and documents an astonishing performance by Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon and Helgi Thorsson, recorded live at the Melkfabriek, Den Bosch on october 5-6th 2002, later edited by Robert Hampson at Thirst, London in November/December 2002.

Still Important Somekind Not Normally Seen (Always Not Unfinished) output was originally commissioned by Earational Festival. All tracks by Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon and Helgi Thorsson. Special thanks to Anton Viergever without whom this would have been completely impossible. When in Den Bosch, Björgúlfsson/Pimmon/Thorsson always stay at the Golden Tulip. Cover art by Helgi Thorsson.

| HEIMIR BJÖRGÚLFSSON                               |

Heimir Björgúlfsson (1975 Reykjavik, Iceland) lives and works in Amsterdam. His audio works involve approaching sound with a constructed visual and physical aspect including recent solo releases which feature natural recordings taken and manipulated digitally and mixed with digitally generated sounds to form a an exploration and composition focusing on the difference between natural and digital acoustics. A recreation of natural surroundings, conceptualization of the organic, yet immaterial, physically manmade and designed with the usage of open ended random hard disc improvisation. Björgúlfsson's discography includes 7 solo releases and over 20 Stilluppsteypa, The Vacuum Boys and other collaborative releases to date. He also ran the (now deceased) FIRE.inc. label for 11 years with 24 releases under it's belt.

| PIMMON                                            |

Paul Gough is from Sydney, Australia and creates experimental electronic soundscapes under the name Pimmon. As Pimmon, Gough explores his love of sound, whether it be pop, minimal composition, exotic drones or field recordings and seeks to create an emotive and compelling listening experience.

He has released a wide variety of works on all formats. Some of these include Electronic Tax Return, an example of his live sound recorded at the Big Day Out on Kid606's Tigerbeat6 label; Assembler, an interactive release based on the Assembler computer language on Fallt.com; most recently Snaps*Crackles*Pops which was voted in the Sydney Morning Herald's Top 50 CDs of 2003.

2002 saw the first series of overseas performances for Gough; firstly 4 shows on the US West Coast as a part of the Virtual Resistance exhibition for SF MOMA. This was followed by 8 shows across Europe, including the EARATIONAL festival in the Netherlands, Brussels, Paris, Cologne, Bremen, Berlin, Vienna and a session for Dutch national broadcaster VPRO who released the recording as a part of the Mort Aux Vaches series.

His unique take on electronic music is linked deeply with his endless fascination of all music genres and everyday sounds. As Frans De Waard from the Staalplaat label's Vital Weekly review newsletter puts it, "It's most likely that this will never be on MTV, and we can only regret that: pop-music would look so much better if this was embraced by the millions."

| Helgi Thorsson                                    |

Born 1975 in Reykjavik, Iceland. Lives and works in Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Helsinki, Finland and Reykjavik, Iceland. Founding member of Stilluppsteypa with many releases in Europe, USA and Japan.

| UPCOMING PERFORMANCES                             |

17.06
Durán Vázquez
Sónar, Barcelona.es

17.06
Lia, visuals for Ryuichi Sakamoto + OBC orchestra
Sónar, Barcelona.es

18.06
Receptor, zigarretteenpausen, aeropuerto, cio (dj), loser superhero, tonne, lod (aka. luis ortiz), littleprettyautomatic (dj)
Fuera de Serie!, Mini Fest 2
Valdonzella 12 (behind macba), Barcelona.es

18.06
Lia @ sonorama talks
Sónar, Barcelona.es

18.06
Lia visuals at SónarClub
Sónar, Barcelona.es

19.06
Miguel Carvalhais & João Cruz select the records
Radio Crónica 6, 0dB
Aniki Bóbó, Porto.pt

21.06 - 24.06
Marc Behrens
Presentation of the video work OF MOUTHS AND EXPLOSIONS
Live Art Space, Ferens Art Gallery, Hull.uk

26.06
Vitor Joaquim
CEM, Lisboa.pt

26.06
Luis Marte
Beat_Map hdj
Maus Hábitos, Porto.pt

26.06
Coeval, Flako, Cáncer
El Hombre Moderno, Madrid.es

27.06
o.blaat cd release (sneak-preview) party
@share at openair, New York.us

| UPCOMING RELEASES                                 |

After the summer break, behold the return of Autodigest, with the brand brand brand new (in all aspects) follow up to "A Compressed History of Everything Ever Recorded, Vol.1" (Crónica 006~2003)

| + EVENTS                                          |

As always, for more information on Crónica's releases and events, just point to http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| CRÓNICA MAIL 020                                  |
| 16.06.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - novo lançamento: still important somekind not normally seen (always not unfinished)
02 - Heimir Björgúlfsson
03 - Pimmon
04 - Helgi Thorsson
05 - Próximos eventos
06 - Próximos lançamentos

(english version above)

| novo lançamento                                   |
| Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon and Helgi Thorsson    |
| still important somekind not normally seen        |
| (always not unfinished)                           |
| Crónica 014~2004                                  |
| ilustrações de Helgi Thorsson                     |
| 9 faixas                                          |

Still Important Somekind Not Normally Seen (Always Not Unfinished) é o décimo quarto lançamento da Crónica e documenta uma fantástica performance de Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon e Helgi Thorsson, gravada ao vivo na Melkfabriek, Den Bosh em 5 e 6 de Outubro de 2002, e posteriormente editada por Robert Hampson, na thirst, Londres, em Novembro e Dezembro de 2002.

Still Important Somekind Not Normally Seen (Always Not Unfinished) foi originalmente comissionado pelo festival Earational. Um agradecimento especial, por parte dos artistas, a Anton Viergever por ter tornado este trabalho possível. Quando em Den Bosch, Björgúlfsson/Pimmon/Thorsson ficam sempre no Golden Tulip. Ilustrações da capa por Helgi Thorsson.

| HEIMIR BJÖRGÚLFSSON                               |

Heimir Björgúlfsson (1975 Reykjavik, Islândia) vive e trabalha em Amsterdão. No seu trabalho sonoro, aborda o som como uma elaboração visual e física que inclui lançamentos recentes com gravações de campo manipuladas digitalmente e misturadas com sons gerados digitalmente para conseguir uma composição focada na diferença entre objectos acústicos naturais e digitais. Uma recriação da envolvente natural ou uma conceptualização do orgânico, ainda que imaterial, manufacturado e concebida através da manipulação aberta e aleatória no disco duro... A discografia de Björgúlfsson inclui 7 lançamentos a solo e mais de 20 com os Stilluppsteypa, os The Vacuum Boys e outras colaborações. Geriu durante 11 anos e 24 edições, a (agora extinta) editora Fire.inc.

| PIMMON                                            |

Paul Gough é de Sydney, Austrália e cria paisagens experimentais electrónicas sob o nome de Pimmon. No seu trabalho como Pimmon, Gough explora o seu amor pelo som, seja este pop, minimal, exótico ou gravações de campo, procurando criar uma experiência de audição emotiva e motivadora.

Até à data Pimmon editou uma vasta gama de trabalhos em todos os formatos. Para citar apenas alguns: "Electronic Tax Return", um exemplo do seu som ao vivo, gravado no Big Day Out e editado na Tigerbeat 6 de Kid 606; Assembler, uma composição inspirada na linguagem de programação com o mesmo nome e editada na Fallt.com; mais recentemente Snaps*Crackles*Pops, que foi votado um dos 50 Cds de 2003 pelo Sydney Morning Herald.

Em 2002 Paul Gough realizou a sua primeira série de concertos na Europa e nos Estados Unidos, passando pelo SF MOMA, o festival EARATIONAL na Holanda, por Bruxelas, Paris, colónia, Bremen, Berlim, Viena e uma sessão na rádio nacional holandesa VPRO, posteriormente lançada na série Mort Aux Vaches.

A sua abordagem única à música electrónica está profundamente relacionada com a sua fascinação por todos os géneros musicais e pelos sons do dia a dia. Como dizia Frans de Waard na crítica que publicou na Vital Weekly: "O mais certo é nunca vermos isto na MTV, um facto tanto mais lamentável quanto o benefício para a música pop se coisas como esta fossem apreciadas por milhões."

| Helgi Thorsson                                    |

Nasceu em 1975 em Reykjavik, Islândia. Vive e trabalha em Amsterdão, Holanda; Helsínquia, Finlândia e Reykjavik, Islândia.
Membro fundador dos Stilluppsteypa, tem trabalho editado na Europa, EUA e Japão.

| PRÓXIMOS CONCERTOS                                |

17.06
Durán Vázquez
Sónar, Barcelona.es

17.06
Lia, visuais para Ryuichi Sakamoto + OBC orchestra
Sónar, Barcelona.es

18.06
Receptor, zigarretteenpausen, aeropuerto, cio (dj), loser superhero, tonne, lod (aka. luis ortiz), littleprettyautomatic (dj)
Fuera de Serie!, Mini Fest 2
Valdonzella 12 (behind macba), Barcelona.es

18.06
Lia @ sonorama talks
Sónar, Barcelona.es

18.06
Lia visuais no SónarClub
Sónar, Barcelona.es

19.06
Miguel Carvalhais & João Cruz escolhem os discos
Radio Crónica 6, 0dB
Aniki Bóbó, Porto.pt

21.06 - 24.06
Marc Behrens
Apresentação do vídeo OF MOUTHS AND EXPLOSIONS
Live Art Space, Ferens Art Gallery, Hull.uk

26.06
Vitor Joaquim
CEM, Lisboa.pt

26.06
Luis Marte
Beat_Map hdj
Maus Hábitos, Porto.pt

26.06
Coeval, Flako, Cáncer
El Hombre Moderno, Madrid.es

27.06
o.blaat, lançamento do cd (sneak-preview)
@share at openair, New York.us

| PRÓXIMOS LANÇAMENTOS                              |

Depois da pausa estival preparem-se para o regresso de Autodigest com o novíssimo capítulo, em todos os aspectos, na sequela de "A Compressed History of Everything Ever Recorded, Vol.1" (Crónica 006~2003)

| + INFORMAÇÃO                                      |

Como sempre, para obter informação actualizada acerca das edições e eventos promovidos pela Crónica, basta apontar para http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| DISCLAIMER @                                      |
| always in the end!                                |

this mail is NOT SPAM. it was either sent to you because you subscribed to receive it or, due to unexplainable phenomena your address ended up being added to this list. if it stays here, mail will be sent to you every now and then, updating news and interesting information about Crónica and www.cronicaelectronica.org

| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |