Hesiod Embraces The Jar of Themis

Jennifer O'Kelly jokelly9 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 12:40:50 CEST 2004

I have been working with a group of young authors from urban
neighborhoods for the last couple of years...

Here is one for you.

SAVANNA
What do I do?
Where do I go?
I question myself daily
Why should I stay?
Here?
Should I eat this?
What is this?
The deciding.
Yeah
I see you smell you
  Be you, no boo, sit back while I decide whether to keep you
Or shut you.  Why should I do anything?
Can’t I just stay I bed?
Or maybe just hit you in your head
Can I shout out loud?
Or maybe stay quiet
Stay still like that leaf on a tree.
No wind. For all these questions I still Have to decide on deciding.

When she wrote that Savanna was 14.
I think DJ was 16 the first time he delivered this at a poetry reading.

DJ
Man my life is like hell
I'm sitting in my room
But it feels like I’m sitting in a jail cell
People say they love me, say they care
But I can’t tell
I’m watching my back
I want to stay at home to keep from selling crack
Yes; one of the ways I survived
Y’all looking at me, my pants hanging
My hair all wild- and say he’s never going to amount to nothing
Well open your eyes; I’m the one up here telling you about my life.
Now I’m not the best dressed or the best looka
I can still hear my mom’s voice, “Boy you better get in here, before I
whoop ya”
Now I’m not the brightest or the dumbest
  I know a little about life but I still need help with some of it.
Times are hard, makes me weak
Some nights I stay up forget about sleep.

He has to take a year off from HS because he was doing something
somewhere he should not.  He is working to promote a 5 city regional
tour for the youth ensemble that has grown out of the project to
deliver their staged forums (live performances including youth poetry,
rap, music, songs, and film/video works in conjunction with an art
exhibit), "Home and Hood" and "Day by Day."

Any thoughts on how to help these artists get published?  All their
work is copyrighted, and Nathan Ross Freeman (a playwright) who works
with them to develop their writing impulse has archived over 200 pieces
since this project began.  Frank Eaton, our cinematographer/film editor
has over 25 digital shorts on file,... It seems like it is time to
start making this work available.