[syndicate] quizz for auriea

Auriea a at e8z.org
Wed Jun 2 17:42:31 CEST 2004

On 2004/05/21, at 21:28, + lo_y. + wrote:

>> On 2004/05/19, at 23:12, Frederic Madre wrote:
>>

>>> 12. According to the bible, what is God not able to do?
>>>    * Save the very worst sinners from hell.
>>>    * Make a rock so huge he can't lift it.
>>>    * Repel chariots of iron.
>>>    * Make people tell lies.
>
> actually it was a trick question.
> the true answer is:
>      * win a chess game from lo_y

watch out!
does this make you satan?

did you know that (also) on June 8
Venus will pass before the face of the Sun?
i'll be there!

--------------------------------->
On June 8th, you will have to opportunity to view an astronomical event
that you've never seen before, unless you happened to have been ooking
upward on December 6th, 1882 - the Transit of Venus. For the first time
in well over a century, the planet Venus will pass directly between the
Sun’s surface and the Earth. It will be possible, if the Sun is above
the horizon, to watch Venus' small disk pass over the face of the Sun.

The disk of Venus will pass before the Sun’s surface from 05:23 to
11:26 UT
(GMT).

If the Sun is above the horizon during the times detailed above (and
the weather is good) you'll be able to see the 2004 Transit of Venus.
Those of
us in Europe, most of Asia and Africa will see the entire event. Those
in eastern Canada and the United States and most of South America will
miss
the beginning of the transit which takes place before their sunrise,
but will see the finish. While those in Australia, New Zealand and
other parts of the Pacific will see the transit's beginning but miss
out the end which takes place after their sunset.

Unfortunately for those in the western parts of the United States and
some parts of South America, the entire transit will take place at
night when the
Sun is below the horizon. SkyWatch Lite and SkyWatch Extra subscribers
will receive detailed information regarding if and when the transit can
be seen.

How to Safely Look at the Venus Transit

Looking directly at the Sun is extremely angerous and may cause
blindness Looking directly at the Sun through binoculars or a telescope
is even more dangerous.  This warning is generally given to someone who
wishes to observe a solar eclipse, but it is no less true for someone
staring at the Sun during other times.  There are filters available for
observing the Sun, but the safest way to look at the Sun is to do so
indirectly.

The usually method is creating a "pin hole camera" by making a small
hole in one side of a shoe box, aiming it towards the Sun and observing
the image created on the opposite wall of the box.  It works but
creates a very small
and unsatisfactory image. I prefer using a pair of binoculars.  Cover
one of the lenses of the binoculars with its lens cap and point the
binoculars towards the Sun while focusing the image on a sheet of white
paper on the
floor. DO NOT LOOK THROUGH THE BINOCULARS.  This makes the process of
aiming the binoculars more difficult but with a bit of maneuvering you
will succeed.  Ideally the paper will be in a shaded part of the room.
The binoculars can create a very good image of the Sun on the sheet of
paper,
which will easily show the Sun's larger sunspots.  You might want to
rig up some sort of stand to hold the binoculars in place so that your
hands are free and so that you can more easily look at the focused
image.

More information can be found at:
http://www.sky-watch.com/transit.html