heating up

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat Jul 24 17:31:08 CEST 2004

Just a few observations from the election year America:
1) it is interesting to watch. people from democratic campaign
stealing classified documents from the national archives to protect
their former boss. that's really a highlight of how is the ethics
perceived on both sides of the fence of the upcoming choice between a
man that can't make up his mind, and a man that have his mind made up
by the Carlyle group.
2) shelves in the bookstores are bending under the weight of hefty
tomes written in a last couple of years about the Bush regime.
fortunately for him, his subjects, kind of like him, do not read
books. otherwise, he would not only lose elections, but probably go
to prison, and maybe, just maybe, walk the last mile. the open-ness
with which he is bashed in this books has a quality still lacking in
many eastern european societies. there, the social will is still
controled by reducing the input of information. here, it is quite the
opposite: anything goes, and it is impossible to say what is real,
gasping for truth while carried in the vicious torrent of released
information.
3) recent changes in campaign law, opened a possibility for the very
partisan non-partisan groups to operate. this evokes memories of
Serbia in 2002 when the Otpor! youth movement got people to unseat
Milosevic. the copy-cat movement sponsored by rich pro-Democrat
leaning individuals (like Soros) in the US hopes to do the same here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/24/politics/campaign/24ground.html?th
4) on the streets of New York I was already stopped four times by
young lads with writing pads asking me the same question: "Will you
help defeat George Bush?" Of course, like everybody else who stops
you on the street in NYC, they were looking for money. as an
immigrant I do have a dilemma: as I cannot vote, why would I support
either candidate? true, Ashcroftian State made this country less
appealing to immigrants, but the abject 1996 anti-immigrant laws were
signed in by the Democratic president.
5) The problem with the US is that the "white wine and cheese" urban
professionals - that those of us, who came of age during the 80s,
call Yuppies - here are called 'liberal left', while in fact they are
all conservative Thatcherites by the European standards. So the
ketchup president may be no more friendly to immigrants than the
blood for oil president. The real leftists and the real liberals are
quickly dismissed as anarchists and troublemakers. And the ruling
party has no option but to be on the right of the Thatcher mark. In
Europe that space is reserved for specialized fringe parties with
names like National Front, and with ideology bordering dangerously on
Nazism. In the US, that's mainstream politics of a ruling political
party...

ivo