call - I Want My S(t)imulation!" MTV, Representation & Desire

claudia westermann c at ezaic.de
Wed Jul 28 22:50:29 CEST 2004

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/english/postgrads/cfps/MTVstim.htm

Abstracts are sought for a postmodern collection of intellectual
works based upon MTV and the space(s) it may have created in your
mind. Often celebrated, blamed or categorised as the epitome of this,
that or other, MTV could be described a status symbol in its own
right... Using a disciplinary approach of your choice (a multiplicity
would do!), and a great deal of self-reflexivity and imagination, I'd
like you to indulge in your MTV-inspired processes by engaging with
the following:
Simulate your MTV:
Investing to some extent in Baudrillard's reference to the term
`simulation', expose your audience to your self-conscious grappling
with the acronym of MTV, and whatever numerous implications of that
you consume. (Baudrillard needs not be addressed in your work, and
you may work around the term `simulation' if you desire.)
Stimulate your MTV:
If the simulating your MTV doesn't work for you, perhaps stimulation
ought to do it: how you are able to `stimulate' MTV into working for
you? While the above is oriented towards the `postmodern', this
option engages a dialogue with the `avant-garde'.

Your work may be inspired by, but certainly not limited to, the
following list of key words:
Barthes, Baudrillard, Deleuze and Guattari, Derrida, Foucault, Lyotard.
Madonna, Eminem, Nirvana.
Jackass, Newlyweds, Made, The Real Word, The Osbournes.
MTV2 (& other MTV-affiliated networks), Channel V, MusicMax, etc.
pop, rock, hip-hop, techno.
gender, genre - hopping and diversification.
mixes, mashes, sampling, censorship, authorization.
mainstream, alternative, status quo, subversive.
consumption, capitalism (, schizophrenia).
post-anything.
psychology, philosophy, politics, programming.
mass media, marketing, moral ambiguity.
visual culture, youth culture, postmodern culture cultural studies.
controversy.
MTV Generation, anthropology, sociology
race religion ethnicity gender sexuality it's up to you

While the traditional essay format will be accepted (grumblingly), I
encourage abstract artists to pitch a more subversive work,
experimenting with genre and/or visual presentation. Let `the MTV
style' be your muse. Creative, analytical, and under 4000 words are
the only preliminary requirements.

Please send an abstract of roughly 500 words to Epiphanie Bloom
and/or Marc Leverette, along with a CV. The current due date for
abstracts is 08/15/04 [updated]. This may be extended in the light of
the responses received.

Marc Leverette
Department of Journalism and Media Studies
School of Communication, Information, and Library Studies
Rutgers University
4 Huntington Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1701
marclev at scils.rutgers.edu