Ottawa calls inquiry into Arar case, was Re: [syndicate] (Fwd) FW: Arar launches lawsuit against U.S. government

Biti webmaven at i2eye.com
Thu Jan 29 18:06:46 CET 2004

Arar grateful to `all Canadians'

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/
Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1075331417253&call_pageid=9683321884
92

Last fall, after he was returned from Syria, Arar told how he had been
stopped at an airport in New York, detained, deported to Jordan and
Syria, kept in a grave-like cell, interrogated, tortured and forced to
listen to the screams of other victims.

Since then, he has gained — or regained — greater composure and
self-assurance.

"I am very amazed how all Canadians reacted since I went public," he
said. "They've sent a lot of letters. There are a lot of people I meet
on the street, in the shopping malls, they shake my hand, they give me
support, they say to me `We are behind you.'"