Another cruel joke

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Wed Jan 14 19:49:55 CET 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/14/politics/campaigns/14MARR.html?th

After the promise to give work permits to poor illegal Mexican
laborers in the States, in the continuing charm offensive that
precedes every president's State of the Union address, Bush now
promises to spend another $1.5B of money that he does not have - even
the IMF is finally mildly complaining to the US for their
indefatigable deficit, and the MoveOn Bush in 30 Seconds contest
winner clearly depicts the future of U.S. as indentured labor (for
Chinese capital, perhaps, because that's where all the T-bonds are
now).

Of course, this $1.5B will be spent on a noble cause - not like
nearly $400 billion they spend on military - this will be spent on
helping low-income couples get and stay married. Wade F. Horn, the
assistant secretary of health and human services for children and
families, said: "Marriage programs do work. On average, children
raised by their own parents in healthy, stable married families enjoy
better physical and mental health and are less likely to be poor."

So, what exactly would government do with $1.5B? For months,
administration officials have worked with conservative groups on the
proposal, which would provide at least $1.5 billion for training to
help couples develop interpersonal skills that sustain "healthy
marriages." Training? What low income couples in the US need to stay
married and take care of their children is better health care at
lower cost, longer paid maternity leave, more available day care.

As I am now a low-income dad in New York city for the past two weeks,
here is what I found about this government's care for marriage: IT
SUCKS. In New York city pharmacies it is easier to find what is
needed to groom your cat, that what is needed for a mother to
breastfeed her baby. Why? Because most of people in NYC decide to
stay single and have no kids - the schools are perceived dangerous,
the kids can't be left alone to play in the streets, and, paid
maternity leave being an "old-Europe thing", the parents have to
choose between working and not being able to care for their children,
and not working and not being able to feed their children. The
choice, then, is clear. And no training will help there.

On top of that comes the arrogance, indolence, unflexibility and
insensitivity of the health insurers. The kind of health care
provided by HMO-s here in the US is no better than what I have
experienced in communist Yugoslavia. The wait time is surely the
same. Only in Yugoslavia that hassle came FOR FREE. And here it costs
an arm and a leg. In Yugoslavia you could have at least bribe
physicians then and receive better care. Here, you have to become a
private patient, i.e. pay all expenses out-of-pocket to receive that
level of care. Of course, to do that, you need to be a millionaire,
i.e. this is not an option even for upper middle class...

One thing that I've learned when we got a baby, is that health
insurance (and that goes for all large insurers) comes in tiers. When
I was listening to the representative on the phone, I thought I am at
the railway station. There are usually four tiers - individual,
husband+wife, parent+child, and family. But some employers will offer
only a choice of two tiers. Let's examine the following example: we
have a low income family with a baby - father works for company A and
has health insurance there, mom works for company B and is offered
health insurance there. Company B offers only two tiers - so mom can
insure herself without a baby, or she can insure the entire family,
meaning that dad either has to drop his insurance tru company A, even
if the insurance offered tru his wife would not cover his needs, or
the family needs to suffer costs of paying for two health insurance
policies for dad. How is Bush going to adress that ridiculous
requirement by corporate health insurer on the individual health
insured?

Let's see another example: the fourth tier (family) is always more
than the sum of the parts - i.e. the family policy costs more than 3
individual policies. As my insurer eloquently explained to me: it
stays the same even if you have 8 kids. But how does this help low-
income families who are getting their first child? A low-income
father insured by the company C, also has his wife insured as a
dependent. Now they get a child - automatically they jump to the
family rate, which ads to their expenses the cost of insuring 2
children. Where does Bush expect they are going to get money for
that? Why doesn't the government force health insurance companies to
establish the fifth tier for the single-child families if they really
want to help them stay married so much? I found that it would be most
cost-efficient to get divorced and have my wife get insurance as a
parent+child, and I as an individual.

Here are the rates/tiers offered by Empire BCBS PPO to a small (2-50
employees) group:
individual (employee)		$ 469.39
employee + spouse		$ 938.86
parent + child(ren)			$ 844.97
family						$ 1549.15

Family rate is for more than $40 higher than the sum of 3 individual
rates. This places undue burden on young families that expect their
first child. Not only they have to pay a full rate for a new member
of household, that cannot produce any income, but they have to pay
more than the full rate.

If parents were enrolled as separate individuals, instead of as a
couple, when the child is born, they would save $2817.48 a year, by
paying an ‘individual' and a ‘parent + child(ren),' instead of a
family rate. For a low income family this is a substantial savings.
There is a lot that $2800 can buy for a baby.

This is simple math. Ok, we know Bush is not good at that, but then
some of his vanglorious advisers should do the job for him. The
health care prerogatives in the U.S. are an obvious incentive for low
income families to get divorced as soon as they get their first
child. Is the Bush administration going to do something about THAT?

ivo

Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street
Rutland VT 05701