[Crónica] mail 014

Cronica list at cronicaelectronica.org
Mon Jan 5 16:20:41 CET 2004

| CRÓNICA MAIL 014                                  |
| 05.01.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - further consequences of reinterpretation
02 - paulo raposo
03 - marc behrens
04 - upcoming releases
05 - fluxo
06 - transmediale 04, fly utopia!

(versão portuguesa abaixo)

| PAULO RAPOSO & MARC BEHRENS                       |
| FURTHER CONSEQUENCES OF REINTERPRETATION          |

This CD is the product of a process that started with the CD 0.000 by the Japanese artist Nosei Sakata (*0), a CD which contains basically nothing (i.e. sound outside the human hearing range).
Sakata asked other artists -- among them Marc Behrens -- to remix, reinterpret, this material which was then released on a double CD called *0-0.000remix -- Inflation. The idea was to create everything from nothing.
When Behrens received his promo copies he decided to take the process further, partly to creatively transform his fury about the outrageous customs bill: he used material from the reinterpretation pieces by Taylor Deupree, Hsi-Chuang Cheng, Aube, Richard Chartier, Akira Rabelais, John Hudak, Bernhard Günter and Steve Roden to construct a further reinterpretation. After the completion of this piece, Paulo Raposo and Behrens, already collaborating on the design for the portuguese label sirr.ecords, decided to work together in music as well. Thus Raposo, who received the sound material in the form of all the single sounds used in the piece by Behrens, himself composed another reinterpretation. Raposo and Behrens use different methods to compose, as well as different structural approaches, and premiered both their -- however complimentary -- pieces in the form of a friendly audio duel (like a ping pong match) on March 21, 2003 in the auditorium of the Goethe-Institut Inter Nationes in Lisbon. The show was entitled Further Consequences of Reinterpretation.

| PAULO RAPOSO                                      |

Paulo Raposo is a sound + media artist interested in exploring intersections between sound and image and sound and architecture.

In the early nineties, with Carlos Santos, he founded the electronic music project vitriol that remains active in the field of sound performance and intermedia art. Vitriol's ongoing work puts an emphasis in the displacement of various sound sources as objects, acoustic instruments or architectural spaces, using computer and custom-built software to create abstract organic landscapes. His work "Rizomas" was presented at Phil Niblock's Experimental Intermedia Foundation, New York, and received the BES prize in 1996.

He has composed music for dance and film, and conceived installations like "arcanae rumore" for the museum of electricity in Lisbon (1998),"rev. monogatari" for the festival "danças na cidade" and "walpurgisnacht" for lab festival X. His latest intermedia work is "Humus", based in the book of Raul Brandão (1917) for video, sound and an actor.

In 2001 he founded 'SIRR', a label dedicated to promote and disseminate experimental electronic music and other media.

| MARC BEHRENS                                      |

Born in Darmstadt, Germany, Marc Behrens has lived and worked in Frankfurt a.M. since 1991, recently also in Grimacco, Italy; he is a citizen of The Kingdoms of Elgaland-Vargaland since 1997.
After beginning his musical studies in experimental jazz and rock groups in the late '80s and pursuing a series of tape releases, acoustic feedback recordings, and multimedia works throughout the '90s, today Behrens is perhaps best classified as a "sound artist", working across performance, installation, and recorded media. He has performed and exhibited extensively across Europe, in Japan, the Middle East, and North America.

Behrens creates delicate and beautiful electronic music from edited and processed field recordings made in mountain forests, building interiors, subway trains, construction sites, and with additional sound material from manipulated objects; e.g. rubber balls, blocks of wood. In concert he sometimes uses contact microphones to play parts of the performance space or his body.

CDs of Behrens' work have been released on Trente Oiseaux (D), Digital Narcis (JP), Raster-Noton (D), edition... (USA), Intransitive (USA), sirr.ecords (PT), and Absurd (GR).

| UPCOMING RELEASE                                  |

Ran Slavin aka ToneR is an audio and video composer/improviser and post production editor/director.
His works experiment in hybrid areas of digital dislocation, noise textures and cross layering of moving image with sound.
In early 2004, Crónica will have the pleasure to present the second installment of the Product series, Tropical Agent / Ears in Water, Product 002 / Crónica 009~2004 by Ran Slavin with cover art by Jewboy Co.
This CD will also feature two videos, directed by Ran Slavin and Lior Har Lev.

| FLUXO 000                                         |

The Portuguese association Granular has just issued the debut release of the "Fluxo" online project. The January 2004 release includes new tracks by Vitor Joaquim, Paulo Raposo + Marc Behrens, André Gonçalves, [des]integração and Ja_Dijiste, free for downloading during this month.

http://www.granular.fm/--/proj/flux.php

| TRANSMEDIALE 04                                   |

In this year's Transmediale festival the interactive work "LMLB03" - created by Lia and Miguel Carvalhais for the "DSP3" CD-Rom published by Lovebytes - will be exhibited in a selection of screen-based work from contemporary digital artists. From the 31st of January to the 4th of February at the Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin.

http://www.transmediale.de

| CRÓNICA MAIL 014                                  |
| 05.01.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - further consequences of reinterpretation
02 - paulo raposo
03 - marc behrens
04 - upcoming releases
05 - fluxo
06 - transmediale 04, fly utopia!

(english version above)

| PAULO RAPOSO & MARC BEHRENS                       |
| FURTHER CONSEQUENCES OF REINTERPRETATION          |

Este CD é o resultado de um processo iniciado com o CD 0.000 do artista japonês Nosei Sakata (*0), um CD contendo basicamente 'nada' (i.e. som fora do espectro de frequências audíveis).
Sakata pediu a outros artistas - entre os quais Marc Behrens - para re-misturar / re-interpretar este material, sendo na altura editado um CD duplo denominado *0-0.000remix - Inflation. A ideia era criar tudo a partir de nada.
Quando Behrens recebeu as sua cópias, no intuito de canalizar criativamente a sua fúria relativa às escandalosas taxas alfandegárias, decidiu levar o processo mais longe, usando material das re-interpretações de Taylor Deupree, Hsi-Chuang Cheng, Aube, Richard Chartier, Akira Rabelais, John Hudak, Bernhard Günter e Steve Roden para construir posteriores re-interpretações. Depois da conclusão desta peça, Paulo Raposo e Marc Behrens, já colaboradores no âmbito do design para a editora portuguesa sirr.records, decidiram alargar a sua colaboração também à música. Desta forma Raposo, que recebeu o material sonoro sob a forma de todos os sons utilizados na peça de Behrens, compôs outra re-interpretação. Raposo e Behrens, utilizando métodos e abordagens estruturais diferentes para compor, estrearam as suas - ainda que complementares - peças sob a forma de um 'duelo' sonoro amigável (como um jogo de ping-pong) a 21 de Março de 2003, no auditório de Goethe-Institut em Lisboa. O espectáculo foi denominado Further Consequences of Reinterpretation.

| PAULO RAPOSO                                      |

Paulo Raposo é um artista sonoro e multimedia interessado em explorar as intersecções entre som e imagem e som e arquitectura.

No início dos anos 90, com Carlos Santos, ele fundou o projecto de música electrónica vitriol, que ainda se mantém activo no campo da performance sonora e arte intermedia.
O trabalho desenvolvido pelos vitriol enfatiza a deslocação de várias fontes sonoras como objectos, instrumentos acústicos ou espaços arquitectónicos, usando computadores e software criado por si para criar paisagens orgânicas e abstractas. O seu trabalho "Rizomas" foi apresentado na Phil Niblock's Experimental Intermedia Foundation em Nova Iorque e recebeu o prémio BES em 1996.

Paulo Raposo compôs música para cinema e dança e concebeu instalações como "arcanae rumore" para o Museu da Electricidade em Lisboa (1998), "rev. monogatari" para o festival Danças na Cidade e "walpurgisnacht" para o Lab Festival X. O seu mais recente trabalho intermedia é "Húmus", baseado no livro de Raul Brandão (1917), para vídeo, som e um actor.

Em 2001, ele fundou a editora SIRR, dedicada à promoção e disseminação de música electrónica experimental e outros media.

| MARC BEHRENS                                      |

Nascido em Darmstadt, Alemanha, Marc Behrens vive e trabalha em Frankfurt desde 1991 e recentemente também em Grimacco, Itália; ele é um cidadão dos reinos de Elgaland-Valgaland desde 1997.
Depois de começar os seus estudos em Jazz experimental e grupos de Rock no final dos anos 80 e após uma série de edições em cassete, gravações de feedbacks acústicos e trabalhos multimedia durante os anos 90, hoje em dia Marc Behrens é talvez melhor classificado como um "artista sonoro", trabalhando em performances e instalações e editando peças gravadas. Ele tem-se apresentado ao vivo e exposto em toda a Europa, Japão, Médio Oriente e América do Norte.

Marc Behrens cria belas e delicadas peças electrónicas a partir de "field recordings" editadas e processadas. Estas são captadas em florestas, espaços arquitectónicos, subterrâneos, construções e material sonoro adicional criado com objectos manipulados, como por exemplo bolas de borracha e blocos de madeira. Ao vivo ele usa por vezes microfones de contacto no seu corpo...

CDs de Marc Behrens foram editados pelas editoras Trente Oiseaux (D), Digital Narcis (JP), Raster-Noton (D), edition... (EUA), Intransitive (EUA), SIRR (P) e Absurd (GR).

| PRÓXIMO LANÇAMENTO                                |

Ran Slavin, ou ToneR é um compositor e improvisador audiovisual e um editor de pós-produção.
O seu trabalho situa-se nas áreas híbridas da deslocação digital, texturas de ruído e sobreposição de imagens e som.
No início de 2004 a Crónica terá o prazer de apresentar a segunda edição na séria Product: Tropical Agent / Ears in Water, Product 002 / Crónica 009~2004, de Ran Slavin com capa desenhada por Jewboy Co.
Este CD apresentará também dois vídeos, realizados por Ran Slavin e Lior Har Lev.

| FLUXO 000                                         |

A associação Granular acaba de lançar o número inaugural do projecto online "Fluxo". A edição de Janeiro de 2004 inclui temas originais de Vitor Joaquim, Paulo Raposo + Marc Behrens, André Gonçalves, [des]integração e Ja_Dijiste, disponíveis para download gratuito durante este mês.

http://www.granular.fm/_/proj/flux.php

| TRANSMEDIALE 04                                   |

No festival Transmediale em Berlim, a peça "LMLB03" - criada por Lia e Miguel Carvalhais para o CD-Rom "DSP3", publicado pelo Lovebytes - será exposta numa selecção de trabalho de artistas digitais contemporâneos.
De 31 de Janeiro a 4 de Fevereiro na Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlim.

http://www.transmediale.de

| DISCLAIMER @                                      |
| always in the end!                                |

this mail is NOT SPAM. it was either sent to you because you subscribed to receive it or, due to unexplainable phenomena your address ended up being added to this list. if it stays here, mail will be sent to you every now and then, updating news and interesting information about Crónica and www.cronicaelectronica.org

| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |