[syndicate] Deat threats to Croatian minority magazine journalists in Serbia

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat Jan 17 19:16:22 CET 2004

Come on, Andrej, I always forward IFEX alerts. It just happenes this
time that they critique situation in Serbia. On the other hand, you
are right about that the recent articles I came across did indeed
criticize Serbia. But you can't blame the mirror for the image. It is
either that all those international bodies are corrupt and anti-Serb,
or that there is something stinking rotten in Serbia.

I am in a weaker position than you (since you live in Serbia) to
assess whether the reports are right, or not. Since you believe they
are not, I would welcome to listen to your take on the situation in
Serbia and reasons why there are so many negative reports from
independent sources coming out.

As for Serbs expelled from Croatia, and still living like refugees in
Serbia, that's bad, but that is a separate issue. Recently, Sanader,
Croatian prime minister announced that Croatia will repatriate them.
The previous prime minister Racan promised the same, though, and did
not deliver. Racan, unfortunately, hardly delivered on anything he
said. I think we should give the new prime minister about a year to
see whether he will honor his Christmass promise to Croatia's Serbs.

Do you know for sure that those threats were issued by a Serb
refugee, and not by a Serb from Serbia? Are you positive that he was
drunk? Neither of those mitigate the seriousness of the threat, but
would at least help explain it better. "Once in 10 years" - that is a
stretch, given that some drunken Serbs were involved in far more
serious ethnic crimes than verbal threats as late as 5 years ago....

ivo