REALTOKYO MM Vol. 167

Info info at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Feb 20 03:14:20 CET 2004

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____2_20_2004_Fri_vol.167_____ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Out of Tokyo Vol. 081
Tokyo International Arts Festival
by Ozaki Tetsuya

(2) Tokyo Initiators' Diary
Kubota Kenji (curator, Art Tower Mito) vol. 005

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Kusamatrix
by Naomi

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 46 events
including 11 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Out Of Tokyo

Vol. 081: Tokyo International Arts Festival
by Ozaki Tetsuya

Coming with the subtitle "The Eurasia Festival," the Tokyo
International Arts Festival 2004 has just opened (running through
3/28). On the program are only theatre and dance pieces, so they
might as well call it Tokyo International Theatre Festival or
Tokyo International Festival of Performing Arts, as they did in
the past, but for some reason they apparently preferred to drop
both "Theatre" and "Performing Arts." Anyway, the festival is
held for the tenth time, and highlights this year should be the
performances of the "Mideastern trio," introducing companies from
Kuwait, Lebanon and Palestine. I went to see "Al-Hamlet Summit"
by The Sulayman Al-Bassam Theatre Company from Kuwait on the first
day, February 12, and it was even more radical than I had expected.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki81.htm

(2) Tokyo Initiators' Diary

Kubota Kenji (curator, Art Tower Mito) vol. 005

January 12
It's the last day of Yoko Ono's exhibition. The flood of visitors
who have come to catch this last occasion to see the exhibition
produce a chaos that resembles a department store's bargain sale.
Particularly moving was a man who waited several hours in front
of the "Telephone Piece" for his chance to talk to the artist on
the phone. Among the visitors were also a couple of friends, who
remarked that they had "never seen Art Tower Mito this crowded!"
I'm not sure whether this is good or sad news, though...
However, we finally closed the exhibition with a record of the
highest number of visitors to Art Tower Mito in the last ten years.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/shikakenin/kubota-005.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Kusamatrix

With the exception of Aida Makoto's giant "girl with a straw
bag" and Ikunishi Yasunori + Kakegawa Yasunori's video work
that maximizes the effect of a highrise building as a venue,
I didn't find "Roppongi Crossing" too exciting. The real
shocker came after leaving the show: big, round, delicate,
glistening primary colors, and SCARY. That sums up the explosive
work of an obsessive neurotic artist, who has been terrified of
sex and phalli from a young age. (I would have liked to have
seen it as a virgin...) To young couples I recommend the romantic
little room in which a mirror makes glimmering lights appear to
float endlessly in the dark.
--Naomi

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?4,1647

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo Editors' Diary

- Presents

and more...

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and
Convenient for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us
opinions or productive suggestions concerning contents,
structure, layouts, etc. Three especially lucky readers who
send a mail to info at realtokyo.co.jp will be chosen and receive
a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners
on our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get
lots of hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy
information on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events
in town. Please contact the following email address for
dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to
change your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their
services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received
by email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2004 REALTOKYO