[Crónica] mail 015

Cronica list at cronicaelectronica.org
Tue Feb 3 11:57:41 CET 2004

| CRÓNICA MAIL 015                                  |
| 03.02.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - further consequences of reinterpretation
02 - live consequences
03 - marc behrens
04 - zbigniew karkowski
05 - upcoming release
06 - qwerty performance
07 - paulo raposo
08 - fluxo 001

(versão portuguesa abaixo)

| PAULO RAPOSO & MARC BEHRENS                       |
| FURTHER CONSEQUENCES OF REINTERPRETATION          |

This CD is the product of a process that started with the CD 0.000 by the Japanese artist Nosei Sakata (*0), a CD which contains basically nothing (i.e. sound outside the human hearing range).
Sakata asked other artists -- among them Marc Behrens -- to remix, reinterpret, this material which was then released on a double CD called *0-0.000remix -- Inflation. The idea was to create everything from nothing.
When Behrens received his promo copies he decided to take the process further, partly to creatively transform his fury about the outrageous customs bill: he used material from the reinterpretation pieces by Taylor Deupree, Hsi-Chuang Cheng, Aube, Richard Chartier, Akira Rabelais, John Hudak, Bernhard Günter and Steve Roden to construct a further reinterpretation. After the completion of this piece, Paulo Raposo and Behrens, already collaborating on the design for the portuguese label sirr.ecords, decided to work together in music as well. Thus Raposo, who received the sound material in the form of all the single sounds used in the piece by Behrens, himself composed another reinterpretation. Raposo and Behrens use different methods to compose, as well as different structural approaches, and premiered both their -- however complimentary -- pieces in the form of a friendly audio duel (like a ping pong match) on March 21, 2003 in the auditorium of the Goethe-Institut Inter Nationes in Lisbon. The show was entitled Further Consequences of Reinterpretation.

| LIVE CONSEQUENCES                                 |

On the release of Crónica 008~2004, Paulo Raposo and Marc Behrens will perform live with Miguel Carvalhais and Pedro Tudela, further reinterpreting the Further Consequences of Reinterpretation. In the Porto performance they will be joined by Return's live visuals.

06.02.2004, 22H
Rivoli Café Concerto, Porto.pt

08.02.2004, 17H
Galeria ZDB, Lisboa.pt

As usual, you can count with the usual Crónica release event policy in both events...

| MARC BEHRENS                                      |

Still in Porto, Marc Behrens will perform a solo.

Born in Darmstadt, Germany, Marc Behrens has lived and worked in Frankfurt a.M. since 1991, recently also in Grimacco, Italy; he is a citizen of The Kingdoms of Elgaland-Vargaland since 1997.
After beginning his musical studies in experimental jazz and rock groups in the late '80s and pursuing a series of tape releases, acoustic feedback recordings, and multimedia works throughout the '90s, today Behrens is perhaps best classified as a "sound artist", working across performance, installation, and recorded media. He has performed and exhibited extensively across Europe, in Japan, the Middle East, and North America.

Behrens creates delicate and beautiful electronic music from edited and processed field recordings made in mountain forests, building interiors, subway trains, construction sites, and with additional sound material from manipulated objects; e.g. rubber balls, blocks of wood. In concert he sometimes uses contact microphones to play parts of the performance space or his body.

CDs of Behrens' work have been released on Trente Oiseaux (D), Digital Narcis (JP), Raster-Noton (D), edition... (USA), Intransitive (USA), sirr.ecords (PT), Absurd (GR) and Crónica (PT).

12.02.2004, 22H
Aniki Bóbó, Porto.pt

| ZBIGNIEW KARKOWSKI                                |

Zbigniew Karkowski is a kind of avatar of experimental music. Besides releasing an extensive list of solo works, he has been collaborating with several experimental groups/artists such as Francisco Lopez, Blixa Bargeld, Merzbow, Stelarc, Hafler Trio, John Duncan, Granular Synthesis, Jon Rose, among many others.
Born in Cracow, Poland, on March 17, 1958. Since then Karkowski has lived in Gothenburg, Sweden;Amsterdam, Holland; Berlin, Germany; Paris, France; and, since 1994, Tokyo, Japan. Since 1993 he has been an active member of the Sensorband. Karkowski also recently formed the unit Mazk with Masami Akita of Merzbow.

05.02.2004
Maus Hábitos, Porto.pt

06.02.2004
Galeria ZDB, Lisboa.pt

| UPCOMING RELEASE                                  |

Ran Slavin aka ToneR is an audio and video composer/improviser and post production editor/director.
His works experiment in hybrid areas of digital dislocation, noise textures and cross layering of moving image with sound.
In early 2004, Crónica will have the pleasure to present the second installment of the Product series, Tropical Agent / Ears in Water, Product 002 / Crónica 009~2004 by Ran Slavin with cover art by Jewboy Co.
This CD will also feature two videos, directed by Ran Slavin and Lior Har Lev.

| QWERTY PERFORMANCE                                |

Audio and visual creators will perform in tight formation in a sensorial battle between sound and image. From a proposal by Vitor Joaquim, this ensemble will work from common starting points, regarded as prima matter by each of them, regardless of the specific media they'll be used on.
In this first presentation, the audio will be worked by Vitor Joaquim and Miguel Carvalhais, live visuals will be created by Lia and Return.

21.02.2004
Contagiarte, Porto.pt

| PAULO RAPOSO                                      |

During the months of February and March, Paulo Raposo will be in the United States to work on the DVD "Babiole" with Jeremy Bernstein. While there, several performances will be organized, in New York and Canada.

29.02.2004
Casa del Popolo, Montreal.ca

| FLUXO 000                                         |

The Portuguese association Granular has just issued the second release of the "Fluxo" online project. The February 2004 release includes new tracks by Jorge Mantas, Ernesto Rodrigues + Gerhard Uebele + Guilherme Rodrigues + José Oliveira, Antmanuv + Jim DeJong, Archive and Christophe Bailleau free for downloading during this month.

http://www.granular.fm/--/proj/flux.php

| + EVENTS                                          |

As always, for more information on Crónica's releases and events, just point to http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| CRÓNICA MAIL 015                                  |
| 03.02.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - further consequences of reinterpretation
02 - consequências ao vivo
03 - marc behrens
04 - zbigniew karkowski
05 - próximo lançamento
06 - performance qwerty
07 - paulo raposo
08 - fluxo 001

(english version above)

| PAULO RAPOSO & MARC BEHRENS                       |
| FURTHER CONSEQUENCES OF REINTERPRETATION          |

Este CD é o resultado de um processo iniciado com o CD 0.000 do artista japonês Nosei Sakata (*0), um CD contendo basicamente 'nada' (i.e. som fora do espectro de frequências audíveis).
Sakata pediu a outros artistas - entre os quais Marc Behrens - para re-misturar / re-interpretar este material, sendo na altura editado um CD duplo denominado *0-0.000remix - Inflation. A ideia era criar tudo a partir de nada.
Quando Behrens recebeu as sua cópias, no intuito de canalizar criativamente a sua fúria relativa às escandalosas taxas alfandegárias, decidiu levar o processo mais longe, usando material das re-interpretações de Taylor Deupree, Hsi-Chuang Cheng, Aube, Richard Chartier, Akira Rabelais, John Hudak, Bernhard Günter e Steve Roden para construir posteriores re-interpretações. Depois da conclusão desta peça, Paulo Raposo e Marc Behrens, já colaboradores no âmbito do design para a editora portuguesa sirr.records, decidiram alargar a sua colaboração também à música. Desta forma Raposo, que recebeu o material sonoro sob a forma de todos os sons utilizados na peça de Behrens, compôs outra re-interpretação. Raposo e Behrens, utilizando métodos e abordagens estruturais diferentes para compor, estrearam as suas - ainda que complementares - peças sob a forma de um 'duelo' sonoro amigável (como um jogo de ping-pong) a 21 de Março de 2003, no auditório de Goethe-Institut em Lisboa. O espectáculo foi denominado Further Consequences of Reinterpretation.

| CONSEQUÊNCIAS AO VIVO                             |

No lançamento do Crónica 008~2004, Paulo Raposo e Marc Behrens vão actuar com Miguel Carvalhais e Pedro Tudela, levando ainda mais longe a re-interpretação de Further Consequences of Reinterpretation. No concerto do Porto, Return contribuirá com os visuais ao vivo.

06.02.2004, 22H
Rivoli Café Concerto, Porto.pt

08.02.2004, 17H
Galeria ZDB, Lisboa.pt

Como normalmente, podem contar com a política para eventos de lançamento da Crónica....

| MARC BEHRENS                                      |

Ainda no Porto, Marc Behrens actuará a solo.

Nascido em Darmstadt, Alemanha, Marc Behrens vive e trabalha em Frankfurt desde 1991 e recentemente também em Grimacco, Itália; é ainda um cidadão dos reinos de Elgaland-Valgaland desde 1997.
Depois de começar os seus estudos musicais na área do Jazz experimental e em grupos de Rock no final dos anos 80 e após uma série de edições em cassete, gravações de feedbacks acústicos e trabalhos multimedia durante os anos 90, hoje em dia Marc Behrens é talvez melhor classificado como um "artista sonoro", trabalhando em performances e instalações e editando peças gravadas. Ele tem-se apresentado ao vivo e exposto em toda a Europa, Japão, Médio Oriente e América do Norte.

Marc Behrens cria belas e delicadas peças electrónicas editadas e processadas a partir de "field recordings". Estas são captadas em florestas, espaços arquitectónicos, subterrâneos, construções e material sonoro adicional criado com objectos manipulados, como por exemplo bolas de borracha e blocos de madeira. Ao vivo ele usa por vezes microfones de contacto no seu corpo...

CDs de Marc Behrens foram editados pelas editoras Trente Oiseaux (D), Digital Narcis (JP), Raster-Noton (D), edition... (EUA), Intransitive (EUA), SIRR (P), Absurd (GR) e Crónica (PT).

12.02.2004, 22H
Aniki Bóbó, Porto.pt

| ZBIGNIEW KARKOWSKI                                |

Zbigniew Karkowski é como um avatar da música experimental. Para além de uma lista extensa de trabalhos a solo, ele colaborou já com diversos artistas e grupos experimentais como Francisco Lopez, Blixa Bargeld, Merzbow, Stelarc, Hafler Trio, John Duncan, Granular Synthesis, Jon Rose e muitos outros.
Nascido em Cracóvia, Polónia em 1958, Karkowski já viveu em Gotemburgo, Suécia; Amesterdão, Holanda; Berlim, Alemanha; Paris, França; e, desde 1994, Tóquio, Japão. Desde 1993 que ele é um membro activo da Sensorband e recentemente formou o projecto Mazk com Masami Akita (Merzbow).

05.02.2004
Maus Hábitos, Porto.pt

06.02.2004
Galeria ZDB, Lisboa.pt

| PRÓXIMO LANÇAMENTO                                |

Ran Slavin, ou ToneR é um compositor e improvisador audiovisual e um editor de pós-produção.
O seu trabalho situa-se nas áreas híbridas da deslocação digital, texturas de ruído e sobreposição de imagens e som.
No início de 2004 a Crónica terá o prazer de apresentar a segunda edição na séria Product: Tropical Agent / Ears in Water, Product 002 / Crónica 009~2004, de Ran Slavin com capa desenhada por Jewboy Co.
Este CD apresentará também dois vídeos, realizados por Ran Slavin e Lior Har Lev.

| PERFORMANCE QWERTY                                |

Criadores sonoros e visuais, irão apresentar-se em formação cerrada numa batalha sensorial entre o som e a imagem. A partir de uma proposta de Vitor Joaquim, o ensemble irá trabalhar sobre um conjunto de pressupostos visuais e sonoros semelhantes para todos os membros. Este conjunto de pressupostos, consiste num grupo de ficheiros de imagem de sete segundos, processados em software e posteriormente convertidos em som. Entendidos como matéria bruta, cada um dos ficheiros será trabalhado livremente por cada um dos criadores. Uma pauta de sete sons de sete segundos, indicará ao longo do concerto possíveis pontos de viragem ou encontro. O som estará a cargo de Vitor Joaquim e Miguel Carvalhais enquanto o video será manipulado por Return e Lia.

21.02.2004
Contagiarte, Porto.pt

| PAULO RAPOSO                                      |

Nos meses de Fevereiro e Março, Paulo Raposo estará nos Estados Unidos para trabalhar no DVD "Babiole" com Jeremy Bernstein. Durante esse período serão organizadas algumas performances em Nova Iorque e no Canadá.

29.02.2004
Casa del Popolo, Montreal.ca

| FLUXO 000                                         |

A associação Granular acaba de lançar a segunda edição do projecto online "Fluxo". A edição de Fevereiro de 2004 inclui temas originais de Jorge Mantas, Ernesto Rodrigues + Gerhard Uebele + Guilherme Rodrigues + José Oliveira, Antmanuv + Jim DeJong, Archive e Christophe Bailleau, disponíveis para download gratuito durante este mês.

http://www.granular.fm/_/proj/flux.php

| + INFORMAÇÃO                                      |

Como sempre, para obter informação actualizada acerca das edições e eventos promovidos pela Crónica, basta apontar para http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| DISCLAIMER @                                      |
| always in the end!                                |

this mail is NOT SPAM. it was either sent to you because you subscribed to receive it or, due to unexplainable phenomena your address ended up being added to this list. if it stays here, mail will be sent to you every now and then, updating news and interesting information about Crónica and www.cronicaelectronica.org

| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |