essay on codework

noemata noemata at kunst.no
Tue Feb 3 03:09:15 CET 2004

i felt like commenting this, though i'm a fraud when it comes to
codework, and much else for that matter, i don't even write under a
legal name for fear of consequences being associated with the hack
activity. i agree on your take on knots which reminds of old ch'an
texts, like the lin chi lu, scorching the students for being tied up
in knots, in a bashing, cynical style, which also has my full sympathy
from diogenes on. and i have no other solution either, people should
develop strong faith in themselves, the rest comes by. in a way that
would be codework also, since the faith is not grounded in anything -
no inside, no outside - the faith is really unsupported and absurd,
which is not far from calling it a joke entirely. and that's what i'd
like to emphasize some more - the unsupported, or self-contained,
aspect of codework, the making of itself, which on the one extreme
amounts to impenetrable cypher or gibberish, on the other mere
tautological statements. there's much knotting going on, much notting,
much nothing - but which all might be dialectical helping, or maybe
not - regardless quackery. if there's some pleasure constructing or
experiencing codework it will survive. by its nature it will have to
do that by f*cking itself up, which maybe is the point of your essay
in effect, to which i would agree. an idea of the codework to be
transparent is crazy, i think, and would eventually kill it, as would
an invasion of quacks and obfuscation. i'm on the quack side so these
comments should not be taken too seriously, neither should codework.