Mr. Wirth

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 00:14:32 CET 2004

Mr. Wirth

Mr. Wirth, I said, a penny for your thoughts.

Wirth slowly turned in my direction, his face blank, whiskey in hand.

Aye, that you should know less than that, he replied. Some things let to
quieten, I believe.

I couldn't answer. Ever since Wirth appeared in the midst of our little group,
things hadn't been the same. It was difficult to figure precisely what the
matter was, or to be sure, what the matter was with Wirth, but there was matter
to be sure.

I murmured something about the weather, only to be met, once again, by silence.

And silence ruled the little bar on the heights overlooking the sea, until I
shuffed my chair about, and left the premises. The long path home beckoned me,
and I would be at the worries, once again.

_