what is going on, on nettime? (fwd)

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Aug 15 04:20:29 CEST 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:19:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim at panix.com>
To: Cyb <cybermind at listserv.aol.com>,
     "WRYTING-L : Writing and Theory across Disciplines"
     <WRYTING-L at LISTSERV.UTORONTO.CA>
Subject: what is going on, on nettime?

nettime-l seems increasingly closed off; numerous voices aren't heard any more,
for example nn, mez, Talan - I wrote them asking why the list is turning from
cultural politics to more or less straight political economy, which can be
found anywhere - the post was censored. Florian Cramer just stopped the
Unstable Digest - there's no more codework there at all - he left his
co-editors more or less in the lurch, not answering email, then disappearing,
now back on nettime with politics. So that venue's gone and apparently at this
point one can't even question the list direction onlist.

I certainly can understand nettime not posting me for any number of reasons -
but the discourse is far more uniform now than ever. And since there's no
discussion on nettime about this, as far as I can tell, I thought I'd open this
up on other lists - (mez by the way suggested I do so).

Any thoughts?

- Alan, watching the net narrow a bit

recent http://www.asondheim.org/ http://www.asondheim.org/portal/.nikuko
WVU 2004 projects http://www.as.wvu.edu/clcold/sondheim/files/ Trace projects