15 years for a web site, under Patriot Act

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Apr 27 17:08:03 CEST 2004

Web design becomes risky business. Sami Omar is kept in detention for
over a year, despite the order of federal judge, for merely designing
arabic web sites: this just shows how much undeserved power did the
government get against non-citizens under the Patriot Act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/27/national/27BOIS.html
http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040427/NEWS
01/404270352

Since February 26, 2003, Sami has been detained and kept in an
isolation cell in Boise pending trail:
        * Detained for over a year on unfounded charge
        * Detained despite Federal Judge's ruling to set free pending
trial
        * Detained from competing his Ph.D.
        * DETAINED FROM HIS FAMILY

"… As we leave we hope that you will keep Sami in your thoughts and
prayers, make his case your case, and share your support with him.
With his family gone, he needs your support more than ever."
Maha, Sami's wife