5 New reviews/articles on Furtherfield

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Apr 23 20:56:01 CEST 2004

5 New reviews/articles on Furtherfield - April 2004.

You can get to all new reviews/articles and work on the front of the site...
http://www.furtherfield.org - or view links seperately via the six
introductory paragraphs below.

Agoraxchange - Natalie Bookchin & Jacqueline Stevens.

The stated purpose of agoraXchange is to establish ‘an online community
for discussing and designing a massive multi-player global politics game
challenging the violence and inequality of our present political
system’. I was stirred up and provoked by the bold persuasive, agit-prop
style of its ‘backstory: A Saga of Nations’, which subverts the history
of man’s grand, evolutionary struggle towards civilisation with an
alternative ‘herstory’ of draconian border control and the apathy of the
masses in the face of implacable state violence. This art project takes
Nietzsche’s critique of the ‘sober realist’s’ smugness (in the face of a
world where things turn out to be exactly as bad as they had described),
as a springboard for changing the law by changing the language.
reviewer: Ruth catlow.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=93

7.7° (dance of cubes): Peter Luining.

Why does this relate to 7.7°? I found that 7.7° is the place where
things slip, this net art not only takes you into the future, oddly
enough, with a timeless kind of enthusiasm. It gives the feeling that
you are one piece of an upscale physical process, working on an upper
level of a vast network of pipes. To see it you must be part of the
network. Reviewer: Nancy Mauro-Flude.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=89

Turning to Chomsky:-

On the morning of March 25th, I noticed the top, most popular link on
Blogdex was one that surpassed all the rest of the links in popularity
by five times. Wow, I thought, what's this? Noam Chomsky had released a
new blog called Turning the Tide and everyone was talking about it.
Chomsky seems to have resurfaced recently into pop-culture by releasing
his timely works on 9/11 and now, in the heat of the 2004 US
presidential elections and the quagmire called the war in Iraq, Chomsky
is out in full force. Reviewer: Andrew Baron.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=91

What if I was a rat?: Ilona Huss Walin.

The rats are placed in a human-social construct and the artist asks us
to watch them play out humanistic roles in a designed, made physical,
living space. It’s a kind of real-time Big Brother scenario, with rats
(obliviously) taking centre stage. The set is a scaled-down model, of
Ilona’s own home; mimicking much of the contemporary family or homely
trimmings that we are all familiar with. The rats are surrounded with
generic, domestic western furniture that has been delicately crafted
with an accurate sense of detail, made to scale, specifically for the
rats starring in this parodic, networked show. Reviewer: Marc Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=94

Stained Linen: Linda Duvall.

Linda Duvall's Stained Linen throws us into the middle of a family
trauma: "you've got five people all crazily upset about the whole
situation; if she had told them in the beginning, she wouldn't have all
this happening." As we navigate through a branching sequence of
overheard conversational snippets, the circumstances of the trauma begin
to become clear. Sometimes the sequence we follow has occasional small
loops, so we hear some sound-bites a second time, and they take on new
significance in the light of the richer narrative context. Reviewer:
David Jennings.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=90

Vist our projects page - http://www.furtherfield.org/furtherprojects.php