separation of church and state in post-yugoslav societies

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Thu Apr 22 16:17:01 CEST 2004

Slovenes indeed are overly anxious that the language and culture of
their tiny nation will be over-run by its larger Southern neighbors.
Hence the shameful policy that rendered its non-citizen residents
without status ('erased') in the beginning of 1990s. It is also the
main worry expressed by the EU - very similar to Cezch republic - the
intolerance to Albanians, Roma, and Muslim Slavs - who are there to
clean bathrooms and wipe floors, but otherwise should keep their
mouths shut. Of course, places in former Yugoslavia, that were under
Ottoman Empire would have many more mosques built - but the
obstructionism with which Slovenian administration met their Muslim
residents desire for a mosque in Ljubljana is clearly out of place,
and denigrates the states EU member status. I obtained this creative
image from the protest in Ljubljana - where its Muslim residents,
mostly owners of fast-food restaurants - threaten Slovenes with with-
holding food if they don't get their place of worship.
http://balkansnet.org/dzamija.jpg
It seems to that protest did bear fruits - the mosque will be built
on the outskirts of Ljubljana:
http://balkansnet.org/dzamija.html

ivo

On 22 Apr 2004 at 17:30, melentie wrote:

>Of all post-Yugoslav societies only in Slovenia there is a successful
>separation of the church and state in education. Just like in the US
>or in France, the Constitution of Slovenia bans catechism from the
>classroom.

It is just in the past several years that the other ex-Yugoslav
countries started flirting with religious discourse in the
classrooms.  Macedonia I think just in 2001 (flirting with the roots
guess). You are also forgetting to add Ivo that despite all good
reputation, Slovenia is in fact one of the less tolerant spaces in
ex-Yugoslavia. For example the Islamic religious community in
Slovenia
cannot get a permit to build a mosque in Ljubljana for already 40
years, despite the high number of followers of this faith in
Slovenia.
 From what I hear there is a planned referendum for next month in
Ljubljana but chances seem to be slim. On the other hand, I cannot
remember that we had a referendum in Skopje on the building of
mosques, and quite many new mosques just got built in the nineties.

Melentie

questions and queries may be sent to
ZAMIR-CHAT-LIST-REQUEST at LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU

Our web interface is at
http://listserv.buffalo.edu/archives/zamir-chat-list.html
Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street