[Crónica] mail 017

Cronica list at cronicaelectronica.org
Tue Apr 20 18:35:14 CEST 2004

| CRÓNICA MAIL 017                                  |
| 20.04.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - v3
02 - @c
03 - v3 release performance
04 - cit_oscillo
05 - upcoming releases
06 - + events

(versão portuguesa abaixo)

| new release                                       |
| @C : V3                                           |
| CRÓNICA 010~2004                                  |
| 9 tracks, 1 video by Lia                          |

"v3" is @c's third full length release and their second in Crónica, a label that they helped to create and maintain. This CD portrays @c's activity during 2003, focusing in excerpts of 3 performances from later in the year. These 3 performances are especially relevant because they were the ones with more guest collaborations. At the EME festival, in Palmela, Portugal, organized by Vitor Joaquim, @c + Lia performed in a quintet, with guitarists Manuel Mota and João Hora on the 5th of October. In London, on the 27th of November, at the Atlantic Waves festival, organized by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, @c + Lia performed with the drummer Andy Gangadeen. The next day, in Huddersfield, at the Ultrasound festival, a new quintet, with Vitor Joaquim, a regular guest of the project. The recordings of these 3 performances were compiled, edited and (re-)mixed by @c and are now presented in a further chronicle of the project.

Lia's visuals are heavily minimal and abstract. Not starting from captured footage or figurative imagery but rather from small pixel-based or geometric elements, she generates most of the visual output from motion and code. Her sound-reactive applications are controlled in real time, allowing for a close relationship with the improvised music and thus becoming a visual instrument that is integrated in the performances at the same level of any of the musicians. A remarkable aspect in Lia's performative work is the way how she manages to leave the traces of time present in the images, choosing not to work with full-frame sequences, where each new element or frame deletes the previous, but rather allowing for the memory of the shapes to stand on screen for a longer time, almost as if a visual reverberation was happening. This avoidance of the full-frame, using it as a canvas and not as a lens to an image, leads to a near than perfect integration of Lia's work in any space, both architectonic, with large format or multiple projections in venues, or others, such as the tv screen.

| @c                                                |

The musical work of @c (Pedro Tudela and Miguel Carvalhais) is developed in the cross-section of complimentary approaches to sound aesthetics and electronic music. If on one hand it's immediately perceptible that there's usually a very strong rhythmic pulse, it's also common that they integrate several elements that are free from these structures. Very often these are generated algorithmically or based in field recordings or sampling, contributing to the setting up of strategies of deconstruction. The improvisation, or real-time composition, in dialogue or discussion is the key to their performances, as is the will not to create closed compositions but rather to digitally amplify sound realities, creating cross-links between referrals and memories, playing with the balance between reconnaissance and abstraction. @c perform either as a duo or, when @c + Lia, as an audiovisual trio, developing algorithmic compositions in which audio and visual elements are integrated. The images in the @c + Lia performances are much more than a merely decorative factor, or an accessory element to sound, rather being regarded as an essential part of the experience.

@c + Lia have already performed in some of the major venues and festivals in Portugal and perform abroad regularly, having already played in Germany, Austria, Spain, The Netherlands, United Kingdom and Chile. In spite of the sharp audiovisual integration proposed by their performances, these regularly admit the collaboration with other musicians, as it is shown in "v3" with Andy Gangadeen, Vitor Joaquim, João Hora and Manuel Mota, besides Pedro Almeida that was part of the project from 2000 to 2003.

Pedro Tudela is a plastic artist, musician and lecturer at the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Porto (Painting department). Miguel Carvalhais is a designer, musician and lecturer at the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Porto (Design department).
+
Lia is a digital artist and graphic programmer based in Vienna, Austria.

| V3 RELEASE PERFORMANCE                            |

It's already by next friday the 23rd. @c will be performing live in Porto for the release of their new CD "v3". Supported by Lia's visuals the performance will take place at ESAP's auditorium, starting @ 22.30.
Entrance is 5 Euro but that will buy you also a copy of v3.
Later on, the party will move to AnikiBóbó, where djs Paulo Vinhas and Ina will spin trough the night.

| CIT_OSCILLO                                       |

>From Ran Slavin comes a new exclusive video work, based on a track by
Pal from the On Paper compilation (Crónica 005~2003). You can check it
online @ Crónica's website.

| UPCOMING RELEASES                                 |

Good things coming soon!

>From Lisbon and Santiago de Chile will arrive Ok.Suitcase and Cáncer,
that will split the 3rd issue of the Product series (crónica 011~2004).
The cover art for this CD was designed by James Paterson and Amit
Pitaru, aka Insert Silence: http://www.insertsilence.com/

>From Brooklyn, New York, sound artist, composer, [electroluxe] event
schemer and core member of share.dj, arrives o.blaat (Keiko Uenishi)
will release Two Novels: Gaze / In the Cochlea (crónica 012~2004).

As springtime rules and days grow wider and sunnier, our hometown
iconoclast wonder-boy Miguel Flor is designing an exclusive T-shirt
collection for Crónica that you are going to want bad! Great colors,
smart stitching, no holes and yeah, with the dogylaptop HMV rip off
(crónica 013~2004).

And yes, still before summer, Crónica will be presenting a brand new release by Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon and Helgi Thorsson: still important somekind not normally seen (always not unfinished), will be released as Crónica 014~2004 and will be the perfect soundtrack for the summer break.

| + EVENTS                                          |

As always, for more information on Crónica's releases and events, just point to http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| CRÓNICA MAIL 017                                  |
| 20.04.2004                                        |
| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |

01 - v3
02 - @c
03 - concerto de lançamento v3
04 - cit_oscillo
05 - próximos lançamentos
06 - + informação

(english version above)

| novo lançamento                                   |
| @C : V3                                           |
| CRÓNICA 010~2004                                  |
| 9 faixas, 1 video de Lia                          |

"v3" é a terceira edição de longa duração do colectivo, a segunda na Crónica - editora de que são elementos fundadores. Este CD retrata a actividade do @c durante 2003, focando excertos de 3 performances realizadas no final do ano. Estes 3 concertos destacaram-se por serem aqueles em que o @c colaborou com mais convidados. No festival EME, em Palmela, organizado por Vitor Joaquim, o @c + Lia apresentou-se numa formação em quinteto, com os guitarristas Manuel Mota e João Hora, a 5 de Outubro. Em Londres, a 27 de Novembro, no festival Atlantic Waves organizado pela Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, o @c + Lia apresentou-se com o baterista inglês Andy Gangadeen. No dia seguinte, em Huddersfield, no festival Ultrasound, nova formação em quinteto, desta feita com Vitor Joaquim, um convidado regular do projecto. As gravações resultantes destas 3 performances foram então compiladas e (re-)misturadas e são agora apresentadas em "v3", mais uma crónica do projecto @c.

As imagens de Lia são fortemente minimais e abstractas. Não partindo de filmagens ou de imagética figurativa, mas sim de elementos simples e geométricos, Lia gera quase todo o resultado visual final a partir do movimento e do código. As suas aplicações reactivas ao som são controladas em tempo real, o que permite uma relação muito íntima com a música improvisada, tornando-as portanto num instrumento visual que é integrado nas performances ao mesmo nível de qualquer um dos músicos. Um aspecto notável no trabalho performativo de Lia é a forma como consegue deixar presente nas imagens alguns vestígios temporais de imagens passadas, escolhendo não trabalhar com sequências de frame completa, em que cada novo elemento ou imagem apaga o anterior, mas antes permitindo que a memória das formas se mantenha em écran durante um período de tempo mais longo, quase como se fizesse uso de uma reverberação visual. Este afastamento do écran completo, usando-o como tela e não como uma lente para uma imagem, conduz a uma integração quase perfeita do seu trabalho em qualquer espaço, seja este arquitectónico, com projecções em grande formato ou projecções múltiplas, ou outro, como o écran televisivo.

| @c                                                |

O trabalho musical dos @c (Pedro Tudela e Miguel Carvalhais) desenvolve-se no cruzamento de estéticas e abordagens complementares ao som electrónico. Se por um lado é patente uma forte pulsão rítmica, é também comum a integração de elementos sonoros livres destas estruturas (muitas vezes gerados algoritmicamente ou baseados em field recordings ou sampling) e a montagem de variadas estratégias de desconstrução. A improvisação, ou composição em tempo real, em diálogo ou confronto é a chave nas suas performances, assim como o é a vontade de não tecer temas ou composições fechadas, mas antes, ampliar digitalmente realidades sonoras, estabelecendo links cruzados com referências e memórias, jogando com o equilíbrio entre o reconhecimento e a abstracção.

Ao vivo os @c apresentam-se em duo ou, quando @c + Lia como um trio audiovisual, executando composições algorítmicas em que os elementos audio e visuais são tecidos e integrados. A presença de imagens nas performances de @c + lia é muito mais do que um factor meramente decorativo ou um acessório ao som, antes se assume como uma componente essencial da experiência. @c + Lia já actuaram em alguns dos mais importantes espaços e festivais nacionais e apresentam-se internacionalmente com regularidade, tendo já passado pela Alemanha, Áustria, Espanha, Holanda, Reino Unido e Chile. Apesar da estrita integração audiovisual proposta nas suas performances, estas admitem com regularidade a colaboração com outros músicos, como são exemplo em "v3" (Crónica 010~2004) Andy Gangadeen, Vitor Joaquim, João Hora e Manuel Mota, para além de Pedro Almeida, que integrou o projecto de 2000 a 2003.

Pedro Tudela é artista plástico, músico e docente na Faculdade de Belas Artes da U. do Porto (dep. Pintura).
Miguel Carvalhais é designer, músico e docente na FBAUP (dep. Design).
+
Lia é artista digital e programadora gráfica residente em Viena, Áustria.

| CONCERTO DE LANÇAMENTO V3                         |

Já na próxima sexta-feira 23, os @c apresentam v3 em concerto de lançamento. Com as imagens de Lia, a performance decorrerá no auditório da ESAP e começará pelas 22.30 em ponto.
A entrada de 5 Euro dá direito à oferta de uma cópia de v3.
O Auditório da ESAP, para quem não sabe, situa-se na Rua do Comércio do Porto, 173, no Porto.

A festa continuará no AnikiBóbó, com os dj Paulo Vinhas e Ina.

| CIT_OSCILLO                                       |

Um novo video de Ran Slavin está disponível no site da Crónica. Cit_Oscillo foi produzido para uma faixa de Pal editada na compilação On Paper (Crónica 005~2003).

| PRÓXIMOS LANÇAMENTOS                              |

De Lisboa e Santiago do Chile chegam Ok.Suitcase e Cáncer, que partilharão o terceiro número da série Product (crónica 011~2004). A capa desta edição foi desenhada por James Paterson e Amit Pitaru, também conhecidos por Insert Silence: http://www.insertsilence.com/

De Brooklyn, Nova Iorque, chega a artista sonora, compositora, organizadora de eventos e membro da share.dj, o.blaat (Keiko Uenishi), que editará Two Novels: Gaze / In the Cochlea (crónica 012~2004).

A Primavera espreita, os dias são mais longos e não tarda muito o calor do sol a escurecer-nos a pele. Não há Verão sem uma boa T-shirt e poucas como as do Miguel Flor. Pois, o nosso iconoclasta pluridisciplinar preferido está a desenhar uma micro-colecção para a crónica, belíssimas cores e detalhes construtivos irrepreensíveis (crónica 013~2004).

Ainda antes do verão será lançado um novo disco de Heimir Björgúlfsson, Pimmon and Helgi Thorsson: still important somekind not normally seen (always not unfinished), Crónica 014~2004. Será a banda sonora perfeita para a pausa estival.

| + INFORMAÇÃO                                      |

Como sempre, para obter informação actualizada acerca das edições e eventos promovidos pela Crónica, basta apontar para http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

| DISCLAIMER @                                      |
| always in the end!                                |

this mail is NOT SPAM. it was either sent to you because you subscribed to receive it or, due to unexplainable phenomena your address ended up being added to this list. if it stays here, mail will be sent to you every now and then, updating news and interesting information about Crónica and www.cronicaelectronica.org

| http://www.cronicaelectronica.org                 |