No subject

][mez][ netwurker at hotkey.net.au
Wed Apr 21 06:43:32 CEST 2004

_post-modernist mental health revisions_   02:37pm 21/04/2004

20:24 ][....pondering the idea of post-modernist mental health revisions ie
that some types of so called abnormal or even psychopathological states may
actually be an adaptive reaction to the human cultural condition [that is,
from a westernised perspective]
20:25 ][...states like schizophrenia, maybe even borderline personality
types.....
20:25 ][ ..but haven't really made any firm theoretical conclusions
regarding it....

20:35 ][on the way there we were just interacting as we normally do, which
is in part a type of play-oriented behaviour
20:36 ][after a bit he also started to display a type of play-geared behaviour
20:37 ][it may be a kind of behavioural groundwork for the curiosity
orientation that also often accompanies these type of patterns
20:37 ][ [ie much questioning and observing along a non-traditional axis]
20:38 ][ ...but that its also very alientating, and could be perceived as
straight out immaturity by regular socially adapted "adults"
20:39 ][....certain nerdy or geek traits often correspond 2 extrememly high
lvls of intelligence but also a high incidence of alienation and/or isolation

20:44 ][ ..+ i guess it just reinforced that these so called pathologies
may indeed be extremely reasonable manifestations of adaptive patterns in
relation to the demands institutionalised life places on us and that this
type of functioning may make perfect sense if terms of post-21C westernised
disassociative life patternings
20:44 ][ if=in

20:48 ][absolutely
20:49 ][i also think that it may b a type of media-inducment in terms of
schizoid personas; that the linear method of existence is slowly being
erroded by various cultural standards
20:49 ][[not a bad thing, really]
20:50 ][...but we can't really replace it with a system that adequatey
reflects these behaviours

20:50 ][okie
20:51 ][the way we r encouraged 2 exist [ie orient ourselves and our
personalities] is as individuals with self-ownership and stable identities
20:51 ][[ie consistent traits that correspond 2 expectations that r largely
predicatible and hence consistent]
20:51 ][ this is how ego-formation occurs
20:52 ][BUT
20:53 ][in an environment that now encourages fracturing, splintering of
this ego via post-modern de[in]struction of that ego [ie via rapid and
effective removal of community ethos, of nuclear family-type
responsibilities, of any cohesive sense of altruism or responsibility in
relation 2 our ecosystem or even our own species]...
20:54 ][ ..it seems almost normal that patterns of behaviour that favour
this new type of alienated/isolated/compeditive existence
20:55 ][..will increasingly manifest on a cultural spectrum....
20:55 ][ [such as aspergers, or even bi-polar disorders that show a
fracturing in emotional/intellectual states prized by any corporate mindset]...
20:56 ][i think that the rush of the information age has somewot
exacerbated this.

20:57 ][..without adequate acceptance/understanding as 2 how this would
effect individual mental functioning

20:59 ][a "community" may in itself embody an outmoded set of cultural
expectaitons
21:00 ][but its not nec a *regression* but an adaptive sequence ie cultural
evolution

21:01 ][but i'm not just trying 2 ascertain a cause, but 2 indicate that
the whole method of trying to quantify/box these behaviours may be wrong
21:02 ][...that they may be highly *adaptive* sets of behaviours
[genetically triggered or otherwise]
21:02 ][..rather than *maladaptive*
21:03 ][..and that we haven't [essentially] caught up in terms of
realigning our cultural expectations 2 incorporate this

.(c)[lick].
-
-

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~netwurker