CALL FOR PROPOSALS for INCUBATION3 (fwd)

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Sep 29 17:25:07 CEST 2003

CALL FOR PROPOSALS for INCUBATION3
The 3rd trAce International Symposium on Writing and the Internet
12-14 July 2004 at The Nottingham Trent University, England
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/

We are pleased to invite proposals for Incubation3, the leading international event for writers and artists working online.

Proposals should be submitted via an online form which will be available on the website from Friday 10th October 2003: http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/

Deadline for Proposals 1st December 2003
Selections announced by 31st January 2004

Keynote Speaker: Mark Amerika
Plus: Paul Brown, Alan Sondheim, Tim Wright
Also featuring: Talan Memmott, Kate Pullinger, Stefan Schemat

Conference Committee
Randy Adams : Paul Brown : Catherine Byron : Jane Dorner : Marjorie Luesebrink : Simon Mills : Alan Sondheim : Sue Thomas : Lawrence Upton : Helen Whitehead

BURSARIES
New at Incubation3 - 30 bursaries are available for delegates and presenters
Generously funded by Arts Council England: East Midlands: http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/aboutus/myregion_eastmidlands.html

Applications should be submitted via an online form which will be available on the website from Friday 10th October 2003: http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/

Incubation 2000: http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/archive/2000/index.htm
Incubation 2002: http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/index2002.cfm

Why a Symposium?
Those familiar with Incubation will notice that we are now a Symposium rather than a Conference. This heralds a subtle shift, not in identity, but in the way we promote the event. Incubation has always been very practice-based and in 2004 it will be even more so. Thanks to Arts Council England (http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/) we are offering a total of 30 bursaries to enable those who cannot obtain funding elsewhere to attend the full residential conference at no charge. We expect this injection of financial support to provide a greater balance of academia and professional writers and artists.

Themes
The purpose of Incubation has always been to provide ideas, stimulus and motivation; information and debate for the international new media writing community. We aim to encourage interdisciplinary creativity and cross-fertilisation, and we are especially interested in introducing the form to writers for whom it is a new idea as well as helping practitioners to share and expand their work.
The themes for 2004 are:
A. Developing a new form: contemporary textual works in new media and performance
B. The practice of making: creative and professional practice; online teaching and learning.
C. Critique and criteria: criticism, reviewing, defining, and archiving of new media writing.

TYPES OF PROPOSALS SOUGHT
Proposals will not be considered unless they are submitted via the online form. When completing the form please indicate which of the above themes (A, B or C) your proposal relates to.

Guidelines
In order to make the field as open as possible we have kept guidelines to a minimum but as a rough guide, we encourage lively debate and provocative thinking about:
*recent work by both new and established writers and artists. You may simply show/perform the work, or accompany it with a practice-based commentary or formal critique
*explorations of the ways in which new media works are made, discussed, reviewed, categorised and archived
*explorations of online teaching and learning in a creative context
*surprise us!

1. Presentations - 20 minutes
We invite proposals for 20 minute presentations which we will group together in panels of three with an added 30 minutes for questions. You are also welcome to organise and propose your own panel.

2. Performances
A number of 20 minute presentation periods may be used for short performances / presentations of work. In addition a number of longer evening sessions may be available. We particularly welcome performances which extend limits and cross boundaries. Proposals should describe the performance and specify technical support required, set-up times, audience profiles, length of performance, etc.

3. Workshops - 1 hour
There will be space for a limited number of hands-on workshops. We are interested in workshops with a specific technical or artistic focus. Please indicate whether you require a PC resource room or a regular classroom.

4. Position Papers/Posters - 10-15 minutes
There will be a limited number of 1 hour sessions beginning with the presentation of a short position paper which will have been put online before the conference and which will act as a stimulus for discussion. These sessions will be chaired and a scribe will be provided. We invite contentious papers with scope for energetic debate. The online ‘paper’ may be in text or any new media format which will be viewable at the discussion and should be submitted by 1st June 2004.

Details of the technology available in our presentation rooms will be available on the website from 10th October 2003: http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/

ADDITIONAL COLLABORATIVE PROJECT FOR NEW MEDIA / VIDEO / SOUND ARTISTS
We hope to obtain funding for Online/Offline, a collaborative project connecting three new media writers with three video artists and a sound artist to work together online to create an original piece to be premiered at Incubation. Application time for this is likely to be short - current planning is to invite applications from new media writers during the month of December only. The video artists and sound artist will be based in the East Midlands and will be separately appointed. Register for updates to receive further information: http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/incubation/informed.cfm

Incubation is generously supported by
Arts Council England: East Midlands: http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/aboutus/myregion_eastmidlands.html
NESTA: http://www.nesta.org.uk/ through Writers for the Future: http://www.writersforthefuture.com/

For further information please contact Catherine Gillam at incubation at ntu.ac.uk or by telephoning +44 (0)115 8483533.

the trAce Online Writing Centre
trace at ntu.ac.uk
http://trace.ntu.ac.uk
The Nottingham Trent University
Clifton, Nottingham NG11 8NS, UK
Tel: + 44 (0) 115 848 6360
Fax:  + 44 (0) 115 848 6364

You have received this mail because you visited the trAce site and registered to be kept informed of
our activities. If you would like to be removed from this database, please send an email to
trace at ntu.ac.uk with the subject line UNSUB REGISTER. Please be sure that you send the email from
the address with which you registered, or give your name in the body of your email.