9 days to Oct 7 California elections

Michael Watson michaelw at eleanorrigby.net
Mon Sep 29 16:14:10 CEST 2003

"I was always dreaming about very powerful people -- dictators and
things like that. I was just always impressed with people who could be
remembered for hundreds of years or even, Jesus, being for thousands of
years remembered"

-- Arnold Schwarzenegger "Pumping Iron"

"Fascist aesthetics... flow from (and justify) a preoccupation with
situations of control, submissive behavior, extravagant effort, and the
endurance of pain; they endorse two seemingly opposite states, egomania
and servitude. The relations of domination and enslavement take the
form of a characteristic pageantry: the mass groupings of people; the
turning of people into things; the multiplication or replication of
things; and the grouping of people/things around an all-powerful,
hypnotic leader-figure or force. The fascist dramaturg centers on the
orgiastic transactions between mighty forces and their puppets,
uniformly garbed and shown in ever-swelling numbers. Its choreography
alternates between ceaseless motion and a congealed, static, 'virile'
posing. Fascist art glorifies surrender, it exalts mindlessness, it
glamourizes death."

-- Susan Sontag "Fascinating Fascism"

"President Bush arrives in California today with his political fortunes
increasingly tied to the powerful but unpredictable figure of Arnold
Schwarzenegger."

Dana Milbank and Mike Allen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, August 14, 2003; Page A05