[syndicate] 'fun'..?

Michael Watson michaelw at eleanorrigby.net
Mon Sep 8 21:13:40 CEST 2003

--- furtherfield <info at furtherfield.org> wrote:
> 'fun'..?

Adapted from: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English
Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I am having fun. In other words, I have found a source of
enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure. My fun ia playful, often noisy,
activity, and I behave playfully. People call me a fun guy. I play
jokes on people! We all started calling places and times fun in the
1050s and 1960s, because we all had fun back then! My fathers and
mothers come from the land of Irish or Celtic people. We invented
the word fun. Wouldn't you if you had Leprechauns, Whisky, and
Blarney?

I guess the Irish get serious about The Pope and the English,
especially after some serious drinking, but you can't have fun all
the time. That wouldn't be fun.

Some people do not like frivolity, preferring more formal contexts.
These people like to be serious about serious matters involving the
serious business of life. :-| They carry things out in earnest and
have grave and earnest tastes. I guess that is ok for them, because
some things are serious and we shouldn't trifle or jest. So many
pressing concerns! We should be concerned with work as opposed to
play. I guess these are grave times, not fun like the 50s and 60s.
It is important to be Earnest. I do so want to be one of those
calm, quiet, sedate natures to whom the temptations of turbulent
nerves or vehement passions are things utterly incomprehensible.
People would respect me then. I would carry myself with dignity and
an often strait-laced observance of propriety. Important men would
tip their hats to me.

Ah, who am I kidding? It's not in my nature. I just want to have
some fun before I begin the serious task of pushing up daisies.