3 great lies

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Thu Sep 25 06:26:30 CEST 2003

"Across Iraq, life is being improved by liberty."

"Across the Middle East, people are safer because an unstable
aggressor has been removed from power."

"Across the world, nations are more secure because an ally of terror
has fallen."

To hide, by now obvious, lies about weapons of mass destruction and
Saddam's ties to terrorist groups, no real liberty and/or life
improvement in Iraq, no safety in the Middle East, and no change
whatsoever in the war on terror, Bush peppered his speech, to the
cold and unimpressed audience of the UN General Assembly, with
everything he believed his administration wanted to do good to the
world.

"We must show new energy in fighting back an old evil. Nearly two
centuries after the abolition of the trans-Atlantic slave trade and
more than a century after slavery was officially ended in its last
strongholds, the trade in human beings for any purpose must not be
allowed to thrive in our time."

In saying that, he diplomatically avoided to name the ‘last
strongholds' of slavery, kind of like Kofi Annan made an effort not
to give a name to ‘some states'  in the following paragraph of his
speech:
"But until now, it has been understood that when states go beyond
that and decide to use force to deal with broader threats to
international peace and security, they need the unique legitimacy
provided by the United Nations. Now some say this understanding is no
longer tenable, since an armed attack with weapons of mass
destruction could be launched at any time without warning or by a
clandestine group. Rather than wait for that to happen, they argue,
states have the right and obligation to use force pre-emptively."

Clue: there is the same answer to both puzzles.

German chancellor Schroeder walked out of the UN building and talked
to journalists on the New York streets. To contrast that, Bush was
whisked in and out in a heavily guarded motorcade under couple of
inches of armor. It is a sad situation that the world's greatest
liberator cannot freely walk on the streets in his own country. It
must be he is doing something wrong if he has to fear for his life so
badly. People who do good are loved, and most of other people would
not want to kill them. I bet Bush must fear for his life in New York
city, since he starved the city, which tragic symbolism he readily
uses in each speech, of the federal funds.

Iraq has governing council, that basically serves as an advisory
board of Iraqi exiles, hand-picked by the Pentagon, to the US
occupation forces in Iraq. Even them, who were not elected by Iraqi
people, but appointed by US officials, now challenge US policies in
Iraq. They want more power for themselves, of course. And they picked
UN as the venue to push their agenda, knowing that the US would be on
defensive there. If I am Bremer, I ‘d deport that Chalabi guy to
neighboring Jordan. I've heard they want him for embezzlement and
fraud there.

The reports from Iraq are also unchanged: still every day some US
soldier or US protege gets wacked by somebody, since Americans
basically cannot guarantee security past their compound gates. There
is still no power, because, as Bremer said, two heavy bombings and
twelve years of sanctions after, Saddam failed to invest in the power-
grid. And the inspection report that is due soon, is going to bring
grave news: even with Saddam gone, and with 7 times more inspectors
than ever before on the ground, there are still no weapons of mass
destruction anywhere in Iraq, not even in traces.

I think Tenet should resign. His operatives had ample time to plant
evidence for inspectors to find. CIA is obviously sabotaging this
administration. They were much more co-operative during Kissinger
times.

And where is Osama Bin Laden? Perhaps, he sips martinis at the same
undisclosed location with Dick Cheney and laughs at the world? Kind
of like look what we've made them do, poor bastards.

While president Bush did not explain what connection this has to
Iraq, if any (maybe the White House will say next that Saddam
although they can't prove his connections to terrorists, indulged in
pedofilia?!) he said this in his UN speech:
"The Protect Act, which I signed into law this year, makes it a crime
for any person to enter the United States or for any citizen to
travel abroad for the purpose of sex tourism involving children. The
Department of Justice is actively investigating sex tour operators
and patrons, who can face up to 30 years in prison."

This ads to the US reality - of harsher economic and political
conditions. Yes, the productivity grows, but only few benefit from
that. The unemployment is on the rise, and the government offers only
two options: get arrested in do slave-labor in prison, or go to some
war and fear for your life there. To make sure that people are more
easily put in prison, this president signed numerous Acts into Laws.

The one was Patriot Act, which is entirely unpatriotic. Now there is
Protect Act, which perhaps will not protect anybody. The substance is
always the opposite from the name. Like those Privacy Disclaimer
Notices that we all receive from big corporations, and in which they
state how they can, and that they will give your non-public data to
almost anybody that they can make profit off, and of course to the
FBI or IRS if they ask so. But they won't give the data to your wife,
even when you need them to, for example. Everything seems to be
working that way: screw the little guy to protect the big
corporation.

And to make sure that some fish just don't swim through the net,
Attorney General Aschcroft issued a decree that nets need to be made
denser: a 7 page memo was sent to all US attorneys instructing them
to always go for the maximum possible penalty. Turn at least the US
in one nice, big, well controlled prison. When they are obviously
failing to do so with Iraq.

Why there is so many Democratic candidates? When any of them could
beat Bush, anyway... They can have their mascot run, for all that
matters. But the primary will be interesting. What surprises me more
is that I am not seeing any Republican candidates - well - except the
incumbent. GOP can't seriously believe that he has any chances of
winning the elections?! Arnold should forget California and run
national. Ah, but he is foreign born, so he can't be a US president.
Too bad, then. Republicans are just running out of eligible cadres.

OPEC meets in a couple of days. Maybe to cut production. While US
troops are literally sitting on oil, and cursing the ungrateful
ingrates around them, who all want to blow Yanks up.

ivo