REALTOKYO MM Vol. 151

Info info at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Oct 24 03:48:31 CEST 2003

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____10_24_2003_Fri_vol.151_____ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

    ++ out now ++ out now ++ out now ++ out now ++ out now ++

                Bilingual art quarterly "ART iT"
                Vol. 1 on sale from October 17!!

                           featuring:
       interviews with Yoko Ono, Jonas Mekas, and others,
                as well as ART iT's selection of
                 "10 Emerging Japanese Artists"
                           and more...

                      116 pages, 1,000 yen

    ++ out now ++ out now ++ out now ++ out now ++ out now ++

[This Week's Index]

(1) Tokyo Initiators' Diary
Kubota Kenji (Art Tower Mito, curator) vol. 002

(2) Tokyo Editor's Diary
Goto Shigeo ("Wasteland" magazine) Vol. 005

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Ise Shoko: Number of blinks
by Maru

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 41 events
including 10 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Tokyo Initiators' Diary

Kubota Kenji (Art Tower Mito, curator) vol. 002

June 28
One day after I arrived back in Japan from my trip to Seoul, "A"
editor Baba Masataka is visiting me in Mito to talk about the
"Cafe in Mito 2004" art event we're planning for the next summer.
The original concept to display art in the streets of Mito has
developed to an idea to involve the city's inhabitants in a
collaboration with the goal to renovate old buildings in an
artistic approach. That's why I invited Mr. Baba to tell me about
the experiences he has made with the R-project that's going on in
Tokyo. This collaboration between a cultural institution and the
general public is going to be an epoch-making example of a new
direction for museums in Japan, and together with two of Art Tower
Mito's curators, Mori-san and Takahashi-san, I'm diligently
discussing the plan night by night (usually over a couple of
drinks). About the talk with Baba-san I leave out details here
since he is writing about our meeting in the latest installment
of his "Tokyo Editors' Diary" (up soon). However, I'm hoping for
a good cooperation.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/shikakenin/kubota-002.htm

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary

Goto Shigeo ("Wasteland" magazine) Vol. 005

I went to Kabul, Afghanistan. There is an NPO called Mogu-Village
Project (MVP) in Osaka that supports the independence of the
Afghan people, and going on at the moment as part of this is a
project in which Afghan carpet makers produce carpets based on
designs by various Japanese artists (see the Website for details).
The "code" project, which I am involved in next to the likes of
Sakamoto Ryuichi, is taking part, too, and currently in the making
is a carpet after a design by Nakajima Hideki. I went to Afghanistan
to inspect the manufacturing process, and also to see how Mogu
Village is structured, and how the country is doing in general
after the war. I was accompanied by MVP's chairman, Fukusada-san,
and Hattori Shigeki from graf.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/diary/0041-henshucho.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Ise Shoko: Number of blinks

Ise Shoko's magical treatments make even well-known sceneries
appear so different that you might not recognize them. In her
pictures the Hanayashiki amusement park in Asakusa, for example,
looks almost like a Parisian traveling carnival, and in still
photographs and movies Ise Shoko presents snapshots of many
other sceneries that appeal to the viewer with somewhat sweaty,
erotic expressions. In this installation, the artist's eye
functions as a camera, displaying all kinds of things her eyes
have recorded. Also on the program is a special live set by
long-time collaborator, speedometer., and since at present these
two artists are both residents of the Kansai area, you might want
to use this occasion to catch them while back in Tokyo.
--Maru

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?4,1525

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo Editors' Diary

- Out of Tokyo

- Presents

and more...

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and
Convenient for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us
opinions or productive suggestions concerning contents,
structure, layouts, etc. Three especially lucky readers who
send a mail to info at realtokyo.co.jp will be chosen and receive
a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners
on our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get
lots of hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy
information on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events
in town. Please contact the following email address for
dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to
change your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their
services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received
by email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2003 REALTOKYO