On Arnold

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Thu Oct 9 18:57:21 CEST 2003

If Arnold would have appeared in full SS uniform, I think, he would
be forgiven. People would take it as a joke. He looks as close to an
'uebermencsh' as it goes. If he lived in the Reich, he'd be an
official mascot. With his heavy German accent and a father that was a
member of NSDAP, the 'Nazi' stuff will simply always be associated
with him. It is just unavoidable.

But he is also a public figure, a celebrity, and his opinions and
character are widely known to great masses of people around the
world. More people know more about him than about any bleak figure
from American political life. And the general judgement is that he is
not a Nazi. After all, like many young men from Europe at that time,
he came to the US precisely because he was enthusiastic about the
freedoms and opportunities it offered.

As, Anneliese Rohrer from Die Presse wrote for New York Times -
"Austria is basking in Mr. Schwarzenegger's California triumph. We
are enjoying the moment. But although we admire Mr. Schwarzenegger
for what we are not, unlike Americans, we'd never elect him." True -
in an orderly Western-European country this would sure not be
possible.

Recall elections, musclemen/actors, who are bragging about smoking
dope and groping women, becoming political leaders - one would expect
to see that in some emerging democracy like Serbia, not in an orderly
state where professionals are supposed to run the business. Well, for
better or worse, California retained some of this early democracy
gold-rush enthusiasm.

He won in all areas except San Francisco - it seems that people
elected him based on curiosity, like, let's see what would happen if
we elect someone as unusual as him. With all the lines from his
movies that everybody knows by heart, there is an endless supply of
jokes for any writer who would comment on his governorship.

And there is something about the hard work and dedication that he
most obviously invested in his life first building the ultimate
phisyque, then becoming one of the biggest male stars in Hollywood
(despite the accent), becoming a rich real-estate developer, marrying
a Kennedy, and, finally becoming a governor, that people respect and
like about him.

He has what he wants in life, because others believe that it suits
him. He can grope women, and they talk about it only twenty years
after and because they were prodded by journalists to do so during
his political campaign. I've heard malicious tongues saying that
those who spoke are those who were angry that Mr. Universe only
groped them.

And the story about the gang-bang, where he said that not all body-
builders participated, because some men cannot get a hard-on in a
group situation, due to their inner insecurities about the size of
their penis, implying that, obviously, he does not have that
insecurity.

When he said that, he was a young athlete aspiring to become an
actor. Flaunting his machismo suited him well. He probably did not
think then that one day he would run for a governor, and that this
would sound disgusting in his new role. The voters just sucked it up.

And nobody else running for an office in the US would be given a pass
with the Hitler statements in his past. Although, what he said - that
he admires Hitler for his efficiency in acquiring power, does not
neccesarily makes him think that Hitler was a good guy. And Hitler
indeed was very skilled in acquiring power. But just having your name
associated with his in the same sentence would kill anyone's else
political career. On the other hand, who else with an unpronouncable
last name, like Arnold's, would stand any chance in American
politics?

Let's face it. He is special. Arnold is simply loved by the people.
His transgressions are taken as a joke. And he is just viewed as a
perfect father, great actor, and a work-out freak. This flies well in
the US - muscles sell well: Jesse Ventura, another governor, was a
pro-wrestler. But the most important part is being known - we all
feel we know about Schwarzenegger practically everything. And we are
too curious to see how would he perform as governor, not to let it
happen.

The results tell more about voters than about Arnold. In the end -
maybe other actors will run for governors as well. Let's see how
Arnold would do against Tom Hanks, or Sly Stallone.

Of course, he may be a quite different Republican than Bush. The
later didn't have to do a day of hard work in his life. Let's see
whether Arnold will manage to twist Bush's arm into giving some
Federal money to California (it would be really amusing to see Arnold
getting his paws on Bush and holding him for his ankles over a
canyon..).

ivo