The Clintons in California

Michael Watson michaelw at eleanorrigby.net
Thu Oct 2 15:44:42 CEST 2003

Stunned by polls, Democrats sprint to save Davis
National leaders stump state to rally faithful against recall

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/02/MN171999.DTL

"The perception now is that we are toast," said a Davis loyalist in Washington.

Yet there were signs of reluctance from some prominent Democrats. The Davis camp has asked former President Bill Clinton, who campaigned with Davis last month, to return, but so far Clinton has not agreed.
"It is not confirmed; it is not on his schedule," said Clinton spokeswoman Tammy Sun.
One Democratic source said Clinton's reluctance reflected his belief that Davis did not command enough support to warrant the trip, forcing Davis' aides to make the case that the election is still up for grabs.
[ Clinton has great instincts; he knows a loser when he sees one, e.g Gore, but it is bit ridiculous to say I won't support him because he doesn't have enough support ]
Clinton is featured in a 60-second radio ad for Davis, in which the former president asks: "What if you had immediate recall of every teacher, every preacher? What if kids could recall their parents every time they had to make a hard decision?"
[ Gee, I don't know Daddy, what if I told Mommy everytime about you and the babysitters? Oh, by the way, where's my 100 bucks? ]
Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., was rumored to be ready to campaign for Davis for the past two months, but with only five days before the election there are no public plans for her arrival. There is also talk of former Vice President Al Gore returning to the state, though so far no plans have been announced.

[ When Bill Clinton did his photo op with Davis he walked out front as they worked the crowd while Davis meekly followed behind. The order was reversed with Davis and Gore ]