New work & reviews on Furtherfield - Nov 03

furtherfield info at furtherfield.org
Thu Nov 27 02:13:49 CET 2003

New work & reviews on Furtherfield - Nov 03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.furtherfield.org All recent works can be accessed via front page.

Le Catalogue - h-arn.org

In Le Catalogue, the mastermind behind h-arn.org has created a database of
documentary images (an archive) of art projects between 1990-1996 available
for public access. Every time an image is viewed, a horizontal and vertical
line forming a cross is added to the archived image, which is then again
stored for access by another user. The more the images are accessed, the
more they are abstracted or -- if one is thinking of preservation --
destroyed.
Review by Eduardo Navas - Net Art Review.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=65

Let it Beep - Pink Twins

The Finnish duo Pink Twins, the brothers Vesa and Jusu Vehviläinen, started
to work together in 1997. Since then they have been exploring visual and
sonic noise combined in a most physical experience. Sampling the everyday
images and tearing them apart to pixels then putting them together again to
a chaotic and blasting unity.
Review by Björn Norberg, curator of the nonTVTVstation.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=64

Mark Cooley - WarProductWar.

A sobering net journey, declaring news information about corporations such
as Exxon gaining record breaking profits of $7bn during the start of the
three-month period of the war in Iraq. This is net art as information
offering a political subjectivity. For declaring subjectivity is to declare
context, if that is eliminated, cut up and pared down by the corporate media
via divisive means in the form of propaganda, then the real substance,
spirit and essence of humanity is much easier to deny.
Reviewed by Marc Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=59

Confrontation - Abrahams/Clément Charmet.

'Confrontation' is a collage of 3 elements, variously constructed and
channelled by Annie Abrahams/Clément Charmet. They have worked with PHP (the

source code is available on request) and Flash, to pull in images from the
web, to allow viewers to interject their texts, and to stream an audio
recording to the theatre of the web page.

This work is a cycling, multilingual, taxonomy of human intention at war.
Visual and textual language harvested from the web and input by visitors to
the site are fodder for an algorithm that intertwines corporate, promotional
and news content with the interior world of the viewer/contributor.

Reviewed by Ruth Catlow.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=58

Information Works - Ricardo Miranda Zuñiga.

The term "Information Age" suggests that the most important thing being
produced now is information in the form of knowledge, data and formulas as
opposed to things made of bronze or steel. Likewise, the economy is said to
be one trafficking in services, like data processing and telemarketing,
rather than the manufacturing of cars and kitchen appliances. Of course, as
some (if not enough) have pointed out, the complimentary myths of the
"Service Economy" and "Information Age" are dependent on a highly selective
field of vision that excludes the simultaneous existence of "older"
economies. The "Information Age" is the surface of Fritz Lang's Metropolis
where the machines of production are working well beneath the surface.
Article by Ryan Griffis FurtherCritc on Furtherfield.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=63

Interview with Ricardo Miranda Zuñiga by Ryan Griffis.

"The majority of the work I do draws from current sociopolitical issues
that I feel must be publicized and protested. In so far as creating art that
attempts to approach activism, I question the relevance and potential of
on-screen virtual/networked art. I believe that in order to create work that
embraces activism the work presents greater potential when embodied in the
physical space, more importantly the public space to create dialogue between
diverse individuals. Of course, I can't negate the web's power as a
communication and dissemination vehicle, therefore, nearly all the projects
that I do have a web component in which information, creative visualization
and related links are presented to support the sculptural elements of a
given project."
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=62

Furtherfield is an online platform for the creation, promotion, criticism
and archiving of adventurous digital/net art work for public viewing,
experience and interaction.

Furtherfield creates imaginative strategies that actively communicate ideas
and issues in a range of digital & terrestrial media contexts; featuring
works online and organising global, contributory projects, simultaneously on
the Internet, the streets and public venues. Furtherfield focuses on network
related projects that explore new social contexts that transcend the
digital, or offer a subjective voice that communicates beyond the medium.
Furtherfield collaborates with artists, programmers, writers, activists,
musicians and thinkers who explore beyond traditional remits.

(If you no longer wish to be on our mailing please simply add unsubscribe in
the subject header & we will gladly extricate you from our list)