Names in the news

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sun Nov 23 18:14:24 CET 2003

I just want to mention two pieces of news maybe of interest to this
group.

The U.S. peace protesters in London (proud of our country, ashamed by
our president) were lead by an ex-Vietnam war veteran turned peace
activist Ron Kovic.

Former bass player of Nirvana, Krist Novoselic is running for the Lt.
Governor of Washington state. Krist's both parents are from Croatia
(island Veli Iz, I believe, but it may be Mali Iz...), and he went a
couple of years to the high school in Zadar. After Kurt Cobain's
death, Krist started two bands - Sweet 75 and Eyes Adrift - that both
kind of failed, so this summer he announced that he was giving up on
his rock-star career.

Krist is passionately political. During Nirvana years he steered the
band into doing two benefit concerts for women in Bosnia (in San
Francisco and Los Angeles in 1993). Later he became a founder of
JAMPAC (a union-like organization that represents rock musicians)
that succesfully fought the "harmful to minors" label in Washington
State. Krist is adamant supporter of proportional representative
democracy, that would ease the grip of only two political parties on
the US democracy. Also, as a proponent of medical marijuana, he is a
regular at Seattle Hempfests. I probably don't need to mention that
he opposes Bushites.

Related web sites:
novoselic.com
eyesadrift.com
fixour.us
murkyslough.com

ivo

ps - check this out:
http://www.digitalnirvana.net/happening/interviews/02.27.94.html
(guess who was the guy that translated articles for Arkzin - there
were just 2 or 3, because Arkzin kind of went under...)