\\ investing in interest

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Fri Nov 21 10:54:48 CET 2003

Fri Jun 29 14:01:01 2001
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:35:58 +0200 (CEST)
From: Trond Lossius <lossius at plot.bek.no>
To: <55 at plot.bek.no>
Subject: /55\The NN issue
Sender: 55-admin at bek.no

I've been of the mail for a few days. To my surprise there seems to be a
flame war going on at 55 at present, aimed at NN. I just want to remind
the list members of the reason why the 55 list do exist at all.

55 was made into a public list when nn was removed from the Max-MSP-list
early this year. The reason why we chosed to do so at BEK, was in order to
make sure that there excisted a forum for NN to interact with select parts
of the Max/MSP/Nato community.

I've lived in Namibia for two years. Althought it is proberbly one of the
more democratic states in Africa, there is much to be desired. When
somebodys freedom of speech is infringed, I can't help feeling upset. The
way NN was treated at the Max-list a few years ago (with the very idea
that the right to express oneself can be made into a subject of a
"democratic" vote) realy upset me. The removal from the C74-run list was
more understandable, but proves why lists like this one should be
independent of any commercial interests.

I've assumed that subscribers to the 55 list has participated because they
wanted to take part in a community that also includes nn.

Apart from this, I'd just like to add:
1) nn is free to make software publicly available (or not) as she wants
2) I don't see any problems in announcing that an attractive piece of
software do excist, but not making it publicly avaliable. In fact, I've
been fascinated myself about the idea of making a piece of art that is
never to be made public.
Think of it for a moment.

Trond

- port!ng