Colored Voting

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Nov 18 17:03:56 CET 2003

Serbia's elections failed. Croatian are under way. After the Florida
debacle in year 2000, election processes anywhere in the world seem
to be under heightened scrutiny. Croatia's ballots appear in myriad
different colors, so one is prompted to ask what do the colors
represent.

My first take would it be that each color is for a different
party/candidate (there are 18 of them, I believe). But that is not
so. The colors do not identify the candidates: the colors are there
to identify the voters.

The colors are assigned by the ethnicity and residence. Croats
residing in Croatia got white ballots. Croats living abroad got
yellow. Serbs in Croatia got pink. And so on.

I understand the desire to record the statistics of how people voted
according to their ethnicity and residence. But to issue colored
ballots according to the ethnicity and residence seems to me as an
outright discriminatory idea and bad governance.

Three big boooos for Racan for that one.

ivo

Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street
Rutland VT 05701