debate

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Nov 13 18:40:37 CET 2003

Well, I haven't been reading AH's replies (for one thing I've had to block
him because there have been too many cross-postings on the lists I'm on -
up to 30-40 a day), but for myself - I do read this list, as well as the
few others I cross-post to (webartery, poetics, cybermind, wryting). I
don't send everything at all to syndicate, but only what might relate here
(please don't ask me to define that).

The other side of the coin is blogging, which is far too safe,
narcissistic, self-contained, inherited from the mid-90s homepages.
There's no dialog at all. AH should be glad he's getting response I'd
think - for that matter, should participate (which he didn't seem to all
that much) .

It's dangerous territory but it's dialog.

Mez cross-posts and writes to the lists.

But it's dying, as at least some of the lists are dying - poetics for
example is mostly announcements and occasional discussion - but cut way
back as the blogs take off.

The ultimate solution, given spam, etc. etc. - everyone blogs, no one
reads anyone else. In a way that's preferable, the work lives forever at
least in one's imagination, and it's safe. We're all geniuses.

At this point btw I don't understand AH or the work, but that's moot. The
question is two-fold - not only cross-posting but dialog as well, as FM
points out.

Everyone will also be doing SMS and IM by the way. We can reduce knowledge
to 160 chars. which isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering the
ex/implosion of sue-dough/knowledge online.

- Alan

http://www.asondheim.org/ http://www.asondheim.org/portal/.nikuko
http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
Trace projects http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/index.htm