\\ l!f sc!ensz

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Mon Nov 3 18:39:30 CET 2003

zekx[]plz

david a goodman

Dear Gang:

This may or may not be relevant, but back in the 1960s when I was
studying the neurology of frontal lobe function with Halstead at Chicago,
we were interested in the effects of frontal lobotomy.

It was then generally agreed that use of intoxicant drugs caused a
reduction in frontal lobes inhibitory function. You all have heard the
phrase: "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal
lobotomy.

Anyway, Halstead spoke and wrote about reduced frontal lobe function and
increased impulsivity in alcoholics and persons receiving the frontal
lobotomy. In both situations the person performed socially inappropriate
acts.

Back then and it is still true today that criminals, the violent
criminals, score low on the Halstead-Reitan, Ravens matrices, Tower of
Hanoi and other tests of frontal lobe function. The frontal-damaged
person is more apt to commit anti-social activities without forethought.

In a series of article beginning in 1978, I pointed out that major
categories of drugs including alcohol diminished frontal lobe function
and could be exceptionally brain-damaging. I even wrote a small book on
brain damage and potent new strains of marijuana, being sinsemilla, more
powerful than hashish.

Methamphetamines including MDMA (Ecstasy) are powerful disrupters of
frontal lobes activity and cause permanent brain damage. A huge
literature  now links cocaine to brain damage (although a great deal of
data argues that the damage is not severe).

The upshot is that millions of Americans taking brain-damaging chemicals
in the 1960s through the present time, like alcohol, sinsemilla, meth,
ecstacy and cocaine among others often in combination may have hidden
brain damage. It could be subtle to severe and predisposes individuals to
impulsive actions lacking foresight. This includes all categories of
violent behavior.

I report this now because in the series of articles in 1978, I identified
what seemed to be an invariant correlate of frontal lobe damage, which
was obesity, the gain of 15-35 pounds. In the diminution of frontal lobes
inhibition, the adult reverts back to more childlike eating habits,
meaning more sweets, fattening foods, attraction to things that taste
good, and willingness to eat larger portions of these foods.

One conclusion is that Halstead's prediction of a nation lobotomized by
drugs and alcohol has come to pass. Of course, this is not the only
explanation, nor the most parsimonious, but certainly no study that I
have ever read links violent criminality to normal frontal lobe function.

Were I still a columnist I would write 1,000 words now on why America
seems to lack foresight, slimness and honesty. It's mostly drugs,
friends. Including, believe it or not, Prozac. And let's not forget
Grossman's videogames and "Kill Bill. Volume 1. Ad nauseam.

Hopefully with foresight,

David Goodman