[syndicate] Some Trojans, traceroute utilities, port sniffers, n stuff

Lachlan Brown lachlan at london.com
Thu May 29 12:01:06 CEST 2003

I've never used any of these utilities, but
I have assumed others have used at least some of them
and I wonder how pervasive use is. It is important
to know to have a more complete understanding of the
emergence of Internet in culture. I've been surprised
that people 'don't want to know'. Surely people need
to know, especiallynow that so much of our media and communication lives occur in the network.

I'd be interested in any experiences people using
these technologies would like to share for
the 'contexts of reception' section of my
research publication. Digital Cultures.
 I think it might be a good idea to have art projects
that cast light on these gizmos in the same way
that Carnivore has been 'demystified'.

What do they do? Who is using them? What commercial
advantage might they lend? What kinds of abuse might
they encourage?

   Best,

   Lachlan

Lachlan Brown