No subject

Auriea. a at e8z.org
Wed May 28 09:54:46 CEST 2003

Long-lost temple of Dionysus may lie in Bulgaria
By Peter Popham in Rome

An epic of archeological excavation in the mountains of southern
Bulgaria may prove to be the Sanctuary of Dionysus, a long-lost Greek
temple that was of huge importance to the ancient world, many
scholars believe.

Perperikon, in the Rhodope mountains, located along Bulgaria's border
with Greece, is a vast complex of ruins that for many centuries was
clearly a popular centre of pilgrimage and worship.

It is only slowly yielding its secrets, but the head of the
archaeology team at the site, Nikolao Ovtcharov, says: "Since we
began our research [three years ago], archeological evidence that we
may have found Dionysus's Sanctuary has mounted."

A son of Zeus, Dionysus was the god of luxuriant fertility as
symbolised by the vine, and the death in winter and rebirth in spring
of the vine was marked by wild, orgiastic ceremonies. At Perperikon,
thousands of wine presses were cut into the rock linked by stone
canals, carrying the sacred juice that the frenzied worshippers used
in their infamously wild rites.

The Roman historian Suetonius described "the Holy Mountain of
Dionysus", where Octavian, father of Augustus (later to become Roman
Emperor) was told by the oracle that "his son was to rule the world,
for as the wine was spilt on to the altar, the smoke rose up above
the top of the shrine and even unto the heavens". A similar effect
was observed when Alexander the Great came to call.

But Professor Ovtcharov is hedging his bets. "This hypothesis will
only be proved if we find a document that supports it," he said.