The Death of Democracy

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat May 24 08:44:48 CEST 2003

In New York subways one may sense the war, walking among the solemn
faces of young soldiers dressed in camouflage, their machine guns
pointed to the ground . The war that’s far from over. The stubborn siege
by the invisible enemy. There are no guns in the hills surrounding the
city, like there were around Sarajevo in 1994. And there is no force that
we can appeal to bomb their positions. Because *they* exist only in our
heads. Carefully planted there by our own elected government.

We are even forced to pay for that: the fare for New York subway was
raised from $1.50 to $2 per ride, to cover extra security. The only refuge
being the ad for Skin Cola, a New American answer to the Old European
boycott of Coca Cola, with the punch line: “New Cola for New New York”

As body language replaced substance as the chief quality in our leaders,
Television replaced Democracy as our form of government. “Democracy”
means nothing more but that, whatever electoral manipulation actually
takes place, every political agent will unconditionally respect the results.
Ideally, ordinary people would willingly participate in that, blissfully
ignoring the manipulation. Why bother, though? Television may provide
the finished product without people having to lose time of work. Unlike
Democracy, Television requires only the unconditional acceptance of its
programing, not actual involvement in producing it: that being left to the
“professionals.”

Preferably, conservatives. Writer Kurt Vonnegut gives a good definition
of a conservative: “They are people who will move heaven and earth, if
they have to, who will ruin a company or a country or a planet, to prove
to us and to themselves that they are superior to everybody else, except
for their pals. They take good care of their pals, keep them out of jail...”
Even when they “misplace” more than $3 trillions of taxpayer money, as
the Department of Defense admittedly did. But who can call them to
order?!

Right now they are pursuing the invention of even more dangerous
portable weapons - including “usable” mini-nukes. And why not? They
created and paid for Osama Bin Laden. They created and armed Saddam
Hussein. So, it would be only appropriate for them to do the research and
development for that ultimate terror weapon: ‘usable’ mini-nuke. And
when one explodes in Washington DC, there should be no question
where did it come from.

Already in its second colonial administration in Iraq in less than a month,
with Saddam still on the lam, and the “frustrated” U.S. Arms Team out of
Iraq empty-handed, the U.S. government believes that such an ideal,
while unquestionable,  form of government should be imposed on others.
The ownership of the largest stockpile of weapons is used as leverage in
their audacity to judge which society is ready to govern itself, and which
is not.

By the time the U.S. might be ready to allow Iraqis to govern themselves,
it may be already too late for them to escape the fate of Afghanistan.
Degradation of their nation seem to be rather smooth. In the Statement
by the NGO Working Group on Women, Peace and Security to the UN
Security Council, it is noted that the 2002 Arab Human Development
Report ranked Iraq highest according to the Gender Empowerment
Measure. This rank was attained by higher participation of Iraqi women
in public life.

In the U.S. “liberated” Iraq, that participation disappeared: at the first US-
sponsored meeting in Nassiriya on April 15, only 4 of 123 participants
were women, and those 4 were from diaspora. In other words not a single
woman currently living in Iraq was present. Fantastically, thus, and
contrary to logical reasoning, but not at all surprising, given the current
disposition among the U.S. bureaucrats, Kenneth Anderson, in his
recent New York Times Magazine essay, “Who Owns the Rules of
War?”, approves of imperialist views, suggesting that those rules should
be owned by big military powers themselves - not by “activist and
publicly aggressive NGOs”!

“...fixing the public gaze upon the exceeding brightness of military glory,
that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood - that serpent’s
eye, that charms to destroy, he plunged into war.” - said Congressman
Abe Lincoln in 1848 of then president James Polk, the one that washed
himself in Mexican blood, building Greater America in the West. Was
Lincoln any better? During the civil war, he declared medicines a
contraband of war, refusing to sell them to Southerners even to treat
Northern prisoners. Why? Because, it was war.

“War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning” is a book written by Chris
Hedges about, well, about war. Incredibly, he was literally booed off the
stage while delivering the commencement address at Rockford College,
the alma mater of activist Jane Addams, in Rocford, Illinois. Usually, a
probable scenario calls for a denizen of corporate media getting booed at
a college for delivering a pro-war speech. Students, if nobody else, are
the most progressive element in any society, right?

Wrong. Students at Rockford College literally breath meaning into
Hedges’s address. His microphone got twice unplugged. Some shouted
for him to “go home,” some chanted patriotic slogans, some started
singing “God bless America...”  A few rushed to the podium, and at least
one graduate tossed his cap and gown to the stage before leaving. Was
there any better proof that he was right saying: “The seduction of war is
insidious because so much of what we are told about it is true - it does
create a feeling of comradeship which obliterates our alienation and
makes us, for the perhaps only time of our life, feel belong.”?

It made me feel strong deja vu, remembering events that preceded
collapse of former Yugoslavia. In 1988, Milosevic was consolidating
power in Serbia. Students at colleges in Belgrade and Novi Sad were
repeating the mantra about the Serbs being endangered by Kosovo
Albanians, almost as if they were hypnotized by the media that he
controlled. They booed independent minded journalists off stages, just
like Rockford College students booed Chris Hedges. Often, there were
loud-mouths among them paid by Milosevic’s henchmen to stir trouble.

With evidence of fog horns among Rockford students one has to
wonder whether young Republicans would use exactly the same
methods as a Balkan war criminal regime to prove their point. The next
step is yogurt, then. In 1988 “people” booed the entire provincial
leadership out of office in Vojvodina, in the event remembered as ‘Yogurt
Revolution’ - because “people” threw cans of yogurt at exiting leaders.

There is also another parallel - Bush team, not unlike Milosevic team,
thinks that TRUTH is a dirty four-letter word. Perhaps, the president,
known as bad speller, doesn’t even know it is a five-letter word.
Anyway, truth is treated as an obstacle, and edited out of the story. The
military invasion of Iraq was necessary to prevent Saddam from using his
weapons of mass destruction. Now Americans are in Iraq for more than 2
months, yet neither Saddam nor his weapons were found. Nor is anyone
seriously after them any more. It is more about convincing Russians and
French in the UN to let US administer the Iraqi oil-wells. The precious oil,
that, of course, they would never admit they ‘liberated’ Iraq for.

The technology available to the Television=Government of today makes
1998 film “Wag the Dog” looks amateurish. “A stunning piece of news
management” is how the BBC called the Pentagon produced and directed
docu-drama of Saving Private Lynch.

The April 3 Washington Post story said that Lynch “continued firing at
the Iraqis even after she sustained multiple gunshot wounds,” while in
fact she was never shot, but rather suffered injuries when her vehicle
overturned (trust me: Americans are notoriously sloppy drivers).

Newswires reported that Lynch was slapped by an Iraqi security guard,
and the US military insisted that an Iraqi lawyer witnessed the incident.
Said lawyer is unavailable for comment, now that he was granted political
asylum in the US and given a job with a Republican lobbying firm.

Eight days after her capture, American media trumpeted the military’s
story that Lynch was saved by Special Forces that stormed the hospital
and, in the face of heavy hostile fire, managed to scoop her up and
helicopter her out.

In fact, not only did Iraqi forces abandon the area before the arrival of
Americans, but the hospital staff had informed the U.S. of this and made
arrangements to turn Lynch over to Americans. The only shots fired on
the scene were fired by Americans, since there were no armed Iraqis
around.

Americans, knowing that they were unopposed, fired blanks, providing
good TV footage. As the ambulance, with Pvt. Lynch inside, approached
the checkpoint, G.I. Joes opened fire. Thinking the fire is real, the
ambulance fled back to the hospital. I always wondered whether G.I.
stands for ‘great & incompetent’ or for ‘greatly incompetent’!?

So, the government and its military lie to their people. And the people
believe that they have been told the truth. Because it is war. And then it
is my country, right or wrong. And those who are not with us, are
certainly against us. And if they don’t love us, they should leave. And
we, on the other hand, have all the rights, because we have all the
weapons.

And we are not to be blamed because others were not as fortunate to be
given an unspoiled large country rich with resources, and a scarce native
population that was easy to tame by our superior weapons. What did we
learn then? That possession of superior weapons is what really counts
for in the world. In what sense are we then morally different than
terrorists?

There is an editorial along these lines published recently in a Tampa
newspaper, commenting on the State of Florida letting a Muslim woman
have her picture on her driver’s license with her head covered.
IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. Sure, why did not
Apaches think of that brilliant slogan, when they had the time?

To those that fail to accept that, the author offers one great American
freedom: the right to leave. And leave they will. I just learned of another
incredulous story: in the aftermath of September 11 due to the nation-
wide Muslim-scare, a group of Bosnian Muslim refugees was fired from
their jobs in their safe haven in Florida - there they were settled by the
US government in 1994. Now they are planning on returning to Bosnia.
Pakistanis, and many other Arab Muslims are queuing at Canadian
border. The US is not any more the desired destination of world’s
oppressed. On the contrary: a lot of friends that I have are considering
leaving. The US is increasingly left isolated in its post-911 hateful
outlook to the rest of the world.

And I am not talking about economic migrants who came here to make
money and return back to their villages, big build houses to show off in
front of their local Joneses. I am talking about artists, people who came
here because they believed in what America used to stand for. They
*liked* the idea of having their lives lived here. Now, they are positively
disgusted. And they are picking up their toys and leaving. Furthermore,
not all of them are immigrants: some are, indeed, Americans. They do not
want to have to adapt to THIS.

Ivo