www.transcri.be attempt introduction

Eric Van Hove evh_transcribe at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 13:35:33 CEST 2003

Hello to syndicate members.

As I am quiet new on this list, I propose an incomplete introduction to my art attempt to those interrested :

Actualy : Japanese traditionnal calligraphy vs new media, video and digital.

Working on the realtion of calligraphy to electonic text, as with video projections of meaning-coreographic compositions on big size chinese classical calligraphy works, as well as more modern composition with ink and paper.

You can find an example here (work displayed in the swedish embassy in Tokyo last year) with a work (V) of Koteiken (댘), :

document = http://www.transcri.be/sweden1.html
description of project = http://www.transcri.be/2002AN.html#Q

Another project that I worked on recently (February 2002) was a modern opera I co-directed and co-produced, created from texts I wrote since my arrival in Japan two years ago.
I worked with Butoh dancers and ABA production' Kenji Williams, a DJ that combine classic violin with electronic sounds.
The purpose was to immerge the public within three languages (English, French, Japanese) at all time with three huge projectors (wall+ceiling) as well as by the sound.

Home page of the Opera : http://www.transcri.be/correspondence.html

Texts can be found here (pdf files) :
English = http://www.transcri.be/Correpondence-englishtexts.pdf
French = http://www.transcri.be/Correspondence-textesfrancais.pdf
Japanese = http://www.transcri.be/Correspondence-japanesetexts.pdf

Now working on a conceptual "in situ" project covering the city of Tokyo and somehow, the net world by the use of e-mail for huge scal poetry chat with the population.
In my first 5 hours long test with 1500 people several month ago, using an original self-computer software, I received messages in seven languages.

Well, sorry for the lenght, and sorry for cross-posting if it happen.

Eric Van Hove
tempter
www.transcri.be

It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at
http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm